existing old electrical wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozeke

I would like to know when A home is to be rewired, do different states And towns govern the laws about the removal of the old existing wire, or is this governed by the nec thru out the united states. I have seen some old house with new romex wiring, but yet still see some of the old bx wire, that had been there for A long time, And not even properly capped by the last electrician that had done the previous job.

Re: existing old electrical wire

There are no rules about "when" a house should be rewired except if there is a dangerous situation. I have seen old nob and tube that hasnt been disturbed 80 years old . If your concerned about your house, have a electrical inspection done to determine any hazards.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The NEC does have some rules about removing wires that are no longer in service (i.e., have been abandoned). But the rules only apply to audio, signal, alarm, communication, and similar cables. The NEC has no rules about removal of abandoned power and lighting wires.

bill addiss

ozeke,

The Building Code that's in effect in your area may have some rules pertaining to existing wiring.

Bill

tonyi

There's some towns in NY that want you to have the town building code guy come around if re-rocking in an older building (and you bother to pull a permit). Apparently there's been a lot of cases of people just rocking over ancient deteriorated wiring that later caused problems. The towns are trying to do the right thing, but obviously a lot of cheap landlords will just spiff up cosmetically rather than spend on modern wiring.

bill addiss

tonyi,

I believe there is something in the NYS Building Code that says something like unsafe or non-compliant wiring must be replaced if it's exposed during a renovation.

Don't quote me though.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.