Existing condition, NM above drop ceiling, commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

So in talking with another electrician today he said romex was ok in a commercial drop ceiling until early 2000's. Turns out yes the 2002 code added the language for above a drop ceiling only in 1 and 2 family houses. It was not in previous additions, therefore OK.
So my question is can new drop in fixtures be installed on the old romex? Is the old romex dated? This is a Dunkin Donut remodel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interesting question: Would this combination of new lights and existing wiring count as a new installation?

If you're genuinely only replacing the lights, you should be okay; any new wire would have to be compliant.

Your best bet would be to ask whomever will be doing the inspection. Most are happy to answer questions.

GerryB

Interesting question: Would this combination of new lights and existing wiring count as a new installation?

If you're genuinely only replacing the lights, you should be okay; any new wire would have to be compliant.

Your best bet would be to ask whomever will be doing the inspection. Most are happy to answer questions.
I will do that. I don't think we adopted the 2002 code, pretty sure we were on 99 until we adopted the 2005 and even that was after 2005. The same electrician I mentioned told me Stop and Shop, supermarket chain in Jersey, New York, Ct, Ma and RI, did all there stores in romex and the code change might have been in part because of that.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve seen it above the ceiling of a Zayre’s store in Alabama (about the same kind of store as Kmart) they ran conduit up to the ceiling into a wire way, then changed over to nm. 120 and 277 volt circuits. Looked awful, ran line of site, loose on top of t grid!

Status
Not open for further replies.