Excel help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Have you ever played with Microsoft Access? It has the same look and feel as Excel except it is a relational data base. You're all set up actually because you already have unique customer numbers. Just put customer and job description after it in separate columns and you can sort it any way you want.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Play around with a copy of your data and the "DATA" tab in Excel. Must be a hundred ways to import into Excel.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have a series of names and Job #s I would like to separate via Excel. Data is in this format.

Customer, Name: 20087 Job description.

I want to separte the data at the : and move one side or the other to a different cell.

What function do I use?
Is it all in one cell now? Is it a .csv file?
if it’s all in one cell go to data tab, then click on text to column.
when the wizard comes up, click delimited, then next.
colon isnt an option, so check the box Labeled “other” and type a colon in the box.
check them all it will separate all the items. The preview will show what it will look like.
if you like it, click next, and then finish..

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is easy with text to column under data as stated earlier. Highlight the column --select data-text to column- delimited- then check semicolon and other. In the other box type a semicolon. This will separate the cell into 2 cells and eliminate the semicolon which I assume you don't need. The semicolon works on a colon

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Not sure what you want on the page but I was going to use Excel for my company Work In Progress job record to show all labor and expenses, job status, job description, date invoiced, date paid and could not include all the info on an Excel page. So I used the Table app in MS Word and found it worked well after I tweaked it over the years. It became a very valuable file that I updated thru the year and then summarized the info to give to my tax guy every year.
One drawback is you have to manually add the numbers in the columns to get totals on each page.
I had trouble attaching a sample page. Let me know if you want to see the page and will try in another way.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It is easy with text to column under data as stated earlier. Highlight the column --select data-text to column- delimited- then check semicolon and other. In the other box type a semicolon. This will separate the cell into 2 cells and eliminate the semicolon which I assume you don't need. The semicolon works on a colon
I missed a step in there earlier and I have all day tomorrow...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It may be different with different versions, but in general. select the column; data; text to column

Worked. Thanks.

PWBCAK

Problem Was Between Chair And Keyboard

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Glad I could help....Smart$ was great at things like this. I miss his input. I just googled it and got close- had to figure out the part with "other"

Status
Not open for further replies.