EV's getting cheaper than gas vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

Lol I haven’t found a customer yet that wants to pay for a professional install. They think just because it’s right next to the panel it should only be 300$. People are crazy.

More like:
"Right next to the full FPE panel on a 100 amp service with no main service disconnect. And $300 is too expensive, ill pay you $150 and ill provide the materials I already have them the guy at home depot was way more helpful than you."

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lol I haven’t found a customer yet that wants to pay for a professional install. They think just because it’s right next to the panel it should only be 300$. People are crazy.
So far I have installed a couple of actual chargers including one on a post in a parking lot, and a whole lot of 50 amp 240v receptacles next to panels in garages. (But none on FPE 100 amp panels.) Maybe it's a difference in market.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
So far I have installed a couple of actual chargers including one on a post in a parking lot, and a whole lot of 50 amp 240v receptacles next to panels in garages. (But none on FPE 100 amp panels.) Maybe it's a difference in market.
No doubt electricians are undervalued in this market.

Ricko1980

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I met someone last year who said that he was able to take a tax credit for some hefty percentage of the install cost (40%?), and that $1100 was less than he expected. That was for a Level 2 40A charger.

JDC

Occupation
Electrician
I always just tell them to run an extension cord to their range thats in front of the FPE panel. Is that not legal?😂

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I told one guy pretty bluntly that if he couldn't afford $1,100 for a charger recep, he had no business spending $50k+ on the car. It's like people buying a brand new car then don't have money for sales tax.
Pretty much the same as people paying +$50,000 for a pool and asking me for a discount to install the electrical!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I told one guy pretty bluntly that if he couldn't afford $1,100 for a charger recep, he had no business spending $50k+ on the car. It's like people buying a brand new car then don't have money for sales tax.

Shoulda told him that he'll make that back in a six months by not paying for gas.

-Hal

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Wants to know why it cost so much add claiming there are 4 empty slots in panel. Opening panel there are no buss spaces associated with the multi size panel cover and someone added electric heat onto a 100A panel on a home originally oil heat, without sizing load. BX and rag wire. Asked why they went to electric heat, "I didn't feel safe with oil heat." They "Got friends cousin Joe Handiman and he did it real cheap so we did it." Ground attached to water line that got replaced at some time with Plastic. Visual evidence of conductor heating. And why is it going to cost so much just to add the charger?
Seen it, just different reason for adding circuit.
Will likely see more of this. We've got a lot of old houses, renovated to look pretty but don't fix or upgrade to code the wiring while walls are open, no value in that.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Wants to know why it cost so much add claiming there are 4 empty slots in panel. Opening panel there are no buss spaces associated with the multi size panel cover and someone added electric heat onto a 100A panel on a home originally oil heat, without sizing load. BX and rag wire. Asked why they went to electric heat, "I didn't feel safe with oil heat." They "Got friends cousin Joe Handiman and he did it real cheap so we did it." Ground attached to water line that got replaced at some time with Plastic. Visual evidence of conductor heating. And why is it going to cost so much just to add the charger?
Seen it, just different reason for adding circuit.
Will likely see more of this. We've got a lot of old houses, renovated to look pretty but don't fix or upgrade to code the wiring while walls are open, no value in that.
This of course doesn't even start to account for people who don't have a garage and have to park in the street. Buy popcorn futures.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One of my sisters was telling me about how shocked she was at the price ($1,600) to wire an above ground pool they were thinking about.
This reminds me of the woman who called to get a ceiling fan installed. When I told her the price, she said "that's more than the fan costs!" I still don't understand why she thought the two things are related.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
This reminds me of the woman who called to get a ceiling fan installed. When I told her the price, she said "that's more than the fan costs!" I still don't understand why she thought the two things are related.
Tell her if she wants to have her house picked up and shipped to Bangladesh, they'll install that fan for 82 cents 😁

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
WTH? Unsubstantiated rumor that West Coast EV owners are being asked to restrict charging. T/F?

Apparently a 'flex alert' was issued on June 17 requesting (not mandating) that people curb electrical use between 5 and 10 pm. This request included EVs, but asked that people shift the time they charged their EVs to before the alert window.

Clearly this shows that EVs add to the load on the grid and that this needs to be addressed as EV usage increases, but it also shows that EV charging is quite dispatchable and that the timing of EV charging will be a significant part of addressing their impact.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.