EV charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m in Northern California., so LOTS of Teslas around here as you might imagine. Lots of Tesla Super Charger stations too. The way they work is that you need to have a Tesla account and an app on your phone that enables the charger and then the charger handshakes with the car. Without that, the plug configuration / adaptor is meaningless anyway. Right now, you must be a Tesla owner to have an account, but Tesla has rolled out a program by which a Tesla owner, who owns or uses another brand of EV, can unlock the handshake issue and use the Super Charger for their other vehicle. Musk said last year that he was going to expand that to where non-Tesla owners can set up an account to be able to use them too, but I’m not sure that has transpired. Tesla owners were not that thrilled with the idea because it might mean not having a space when they want one. But on the other had, most of the Super Chargers I see around here are empty a lot of the time, so I can see Tesla wanting them to be generating more consistent income. Also, Tesla owners get a special rate on the electricity charges that is partially subsidized by owning a Tesla, so I’m sure that the company will charge market rates to non-Tesla owners, which means Musk makes more money on the electricity from them, which would be further incentive to move forward with it.

retirede

I’m in Northern California., so LOTS of Teslas around here as you might imagine. Lots of Tesla Super Charger stations too. The way they work is that you need to have a Tesla account and an app on your phone that enables the charger and then the charger handshakes with the car. Without that, the plug configuration / adaptor is meaningless anyway. Right now, you must be a Tesla owner to have an account, but Tesla has rolled out a program by which a Tesla owner, who owns or uses another brand of EV, can unlock the handshake issue and use the Super Charger for their other vehicle. Musk said last year that he was going to expand that to where non-Tesla owners can set up an account to be able to use them too, but I’m not sure that has transpired. Tesla owners were not that thrilled with the idea because it might mean not having a space when they want one. But on the other had, most of the Super Chargers I see around here are empty a lot of the time, so I can see Tesla wanting them to be generating more consistent income. Also, Tesla owners get a special rate on the electricity charges that is partially subsidized by owning a Tesla, so I’m sure that the company will charge market rates to non-Tesla owners, which means Musk makes more money on the electricity from them, which would be further incentive to move forward with it.

It’s my understanding that the app lets you monitor the charge, but isn’t required when charging a Tesla. Your Tesla account is tied to your Tesla VIN(s), so you plug in and the handshake takes care of the rest.

The last time I looked at Tesla’s website, the adapters to allow non-Teslas to connect to a Supercharger were not yet available. Once they are, the app will likely be required to initiate the charge of a non-Tesla vehicle.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Is that a USB-C connector?
Yes, close in size to the lightning of Apple, bidirectional. More than you want to know, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

That image is large, the folded-in 120VAC blades are a good size reference. It is in the range of a 1.25" cube, a little fellow for 45W.

In my very limited experience, all CHARGING connectors work with all CHARGING cables. Also those will transmit data, often limited to USB 2.0 speeds. VESA's DisplayPort and Intel's Thunderbolt are often carried over USB Type-C cables, some at up to 80 Gbps. Again, AFAIK, the 80 Gbps cables are limited to about 50" today.

They only LOOK the same.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The first cell phone using the Android operating system was released in 2008. You didn't have a cell phone before that? Perhaps you meant that your first "smart phone" used Android.
Yes, I'm older than flip phones! I meant since I had a smart phone.
Of course, I'm not any smarter!:cry:

fagian

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Tesla plug/receptacle and the US standard J1772 are different. They are physically different. There is an adapter you can place on a J1772 plug so that it will fit into a Tesla car receptacle to allow charging. We need a uniform standard in the US.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The Tesla plug/receptacle and the US standard J1772 are different. They are physically different. There is an adapter you can place on a J1772 plug so that it will fit into a Tesla car receptacle to allow charging. We need a uniform standard in the US.
I thought we did. Except for Tesla. :rolleyes:

retirede

Yes. Tesla used to provide one with the car. I don’t know if that’s still the case. There are also adapters to charge a J1772 car on a Tesla EVSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.