Ethernet and 24V In Same Raceway

ItsMattsFault

Occupation
Electrician
I am curious as to whether you can run 24VDC wires (in this case utilizing 14awg XHHW) with a cat6 cable in the same rigid metal conduit

It is to serve the same equipment, and only have the one available underground conduit.

ItsMattsFault

Occupation
Electrician
Is the DC Class 1,2, or 3 per Art 7:5?
Note the 2023 NEC changes the classes and I am not familiar with the 2023 rules
If I'm understanding correctly, 725.41(A) says a Class 1 power limited circuit is limited to 30V and 1000VA, both of which would be true based on the power supply being installed to supply the 24VDC.

EDIT: 725.121(A) for Class 2 and Class 3 circuits say to reference Chapter 9 Tables 11(A) and 11(B), which shows the max amperage as 8A.

This would mean the 10A power supply currently being used makes this a Class 1 circuit.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If I'm understanding correctly, 725.41(A) says a Class 1 power limited circuit is limited to 30V and 1000VA, both of which would be true based on the power supply being installed to supply the 24VDC.

EDIT: 725.121(A) for Class 2 and Class 3 circuits say to reference Chapter 9 Tables 11(A) and 11(B), which shows the max amperage as 8A.

This would mean the 10A power supply currently being used makes this a Class 1 circuit.
NO! Don't read any of that. That shouldn't even be in there. That's really for engineers designing equipment.

They made it simple for us. What does the label say on whatever is supplying the power? Class 2, Class 3 or nothing? If nothing, a Class 1 wiring method must be used. CL2 or CL3- no problem running it with your ethernet.

-Hal

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Note the 2023 NEC changes the classes and I am not familiar with the 2023 rules
I don't think that's substantially correct. They split 725 into three articles and added a new Class 4 but I don't think the rules for Classes 1,2, and 3 changed in any major way.

Hal is right, you mainly tell if something is Class 2 or 3 by looking on the power source label, unless it's also described in 725.60(A)(4) [2023 Reference. 725.121 in 2020]. The latter is "Listed audio/video, information technology (computer) communications, and industrial equipment limited power circuits".