Estimating Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

What estimating software (if any) do you prefer?

I have used Excel, McCormick, Accubid, Estimation and ConEst.

Accubid works the best for me.

How about you?

chrsb

Re: Estimating Software

I use EBM (Vision) and am very happy with it. It could be a little more user friendly, things like changing "attributes" to get things the way you like it takes alot of time. It's labor units are pretty close, plus it has NECA hours for change orders.

I just started estimating using Con Est and I find it a little clumsy and not as quick as I would like. I am hoping as I get to know it better I will find it a little smoother going.

I still like using excel for a lot of things. Particularly for itemizing the actual counts across numerous pages (before sending them to a vendor for quotes). But I Excel is not always as intuitive as it could be either and I certainly don't want to spend three years adding the NECA numbers to turn into some sort of odd spread sheet/estimating program.

I am interested that you view the NECA numbers as good for change orders. Most data bases I have seen seem to mimic their numbers pretty closely. How do you find the NECA numbers different then the data base you are using?

chrsb

I use the NECA numbers as a good reference for change orders. I used to do change orders for T&M, but since so many have been ending up in court to get paid, we now put a price on everything before we do it. Everything I have read says that is the way to go. I also use the NECA hours to have some play room, so when a GC complains I can drop it a little and still make money.

chrsb

I forgot to add, what forms do you guys use for take-off's. I made up a couple Excel sheets, and was wondering if there is something better out there.

msext

Do you have a s ample sreadsheet I can look at? I am trying to come up with a solid way for a takeoff to incorporate into my final bid in excel.

chrsb

Originally posted by msext:
Do you have a s ample sreadsheet I can look at? I am trying to come up with a solid way for a takeoff to incorporate into my final bid in excel.
Send me a e-mail to (email address removed - please use PM feature) and I will send you the forms I use with my program.

Please use the Forum PM feature to exchange Email addresses

[ December 24, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

indcom

Originally posted by msext:
Do you have a sample sreadsheet I can look at? I am trying to come up with a solid way for a takeoff to incorporate into my final bid in excel.
Send an email to (email address removed - use Forum PM feature) and I'll upload you a copy of what I use. I use Exel for not only soliciting quotes from my suppliers, but, for T/O and Proj. Mgt. after I get the job. I've incorporated appx. 4700 different electrical and data products items into a database.

Please use the Forum PM feature to exchange Email addresses

[ December 24, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

indcom

Originally posted by chrsb:
I use EBM (Vision) and am very happy with it. It could be a little more user friendly, things like changing "attributes" to get things the way you like it takes alot of time. It's labor units are pretty close, plus it has NECA hours for change orders.
I've used Vision EBM before, but, now use my own exel format. What I found was that for smaller jobs like lease build-outs it was too high in it's material cost if I didn't adjust it or catch it. Yeah, it takes alot of time to go through each item and adjust it's database for a particular job. If it only had a base format for smaller jobs then it would be great!

peter d

I used Accubid software a few years ago to prepare estimates and change orders when I worked for the largest EC here in Connecticut. It is very powerful, and I learned it in very little time. Once I was up and running, I was pumping out change orders and doing estimates like I had been doing them for years. :)

I am cetainly no expert on different types of programs but I liked Accubid. If it works for the largest electrical contractor in Connecticut, it can work for you. :) I have no idea what it costs, but I know it's very expensive.

sparkomatic

I have used Estimation, McCormick and Accubid extensively for everything from daily change orders and service work orders up to multi-million dollar industrial hard bids. Accubid blows the others out of the water on ease of use, flexibility, speed, reliability and depth of database. You can teach most of it to yourself, it's so well thought out. Their customer service is unsurpassed.

I just started working for a contractor who has Estimation and (after 6 years of using Accubid at my previous employers) I am losing my mind trying to get anything done with it. Estimation is horribly slow, locks up or crashes frequently, is lacking several critical material categories in the database, is illogically organized and completely inflexible. You can't even copy any of your takeoff info to an Excel spreadsheet. Estimation's customer service so far has been horrible and their training is way overpriced. I'm a very good estimator but using this is like having a millstone tied around my neck.

Shall I tell you how I really feel about this estimating software??

Seriously, I would recommend Accubid without reservation to anyone. McCormick and Estimation aren't even in the same league.

Status
Not open for further replies.