Estimating Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Overpriced for what it is.
learning the system a pain by yourself, they want you to attend there lessons, I can understand selling your expertise in your software,but for 3k I want some videos to brush up on stuff.
I also have their plans editing software forgot what it is called, that’s a must to have, though it’s interface Is also a pain. Much easier to learn.
I am sure its part my fault on lack of knowledge of the system.
would like to try others but kinda committed.

LT Sparky

Occupation
Estimator Project Manager
I use McCormick. Dont know what I’m missing because its what I learned on. Or shud I say still learning on. They have an estimating class, you have to pay for, that helps a lot.

I've been using McCormick for about 15 years. I think it's better than most. I also have the Onscreen which Is the Bomb!!.
I've used Fusion, Accubid, Timberline, and TRF, (which was my first estimating program).
I think Accubid is overpriced and they require you to buy a Pricing service. McCormick gives you the formulas to have suppliers send you "Your" pricing directly. No need for doing all the Math to adjust the prices.

Cjx3

Occupation
Electrician
No one using Turbo Bid? I am trying to get better with residential bidding. Tough as owner/installer/estimator to be efficient with my time

pkm1

Occupation
Journeyman to Contractor
Overpriced for what it is.
learning the system a pain by yourself, they want you to attend there lessons, I can understand selling your expertise in your software,but for 3k I want some videos to brush up on stuff.
I also have their plans editing software forgot what it is called, that’s a must to have, though it’s interface Is also a pain. Much easier to learn.
I am sure its part my fault on lack of knowledge of the system.
would like to try others but kinda committed.
They have videos on YouTube on how to or brush up.

MGest

I am learning how to estimate , what is a decent program to start off with , can I get some Advice on this thank you very much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an estimator of 8 years, I've found it extremely helpful to fisrt learn how to do takeoffs the good old way with markers, paper, and a measuring wheel (although I grew up in the digital age).

No software can substitute learning how to estimate properly through an estimating course. The software is just a useful tool to streamline the process. (the same way way you can't learn to be an architect by just learning AutoCAD).

As for software, I can only tell you my experience with the ones I've used. Turbobid is a good and inexpensive beginners program. it's very methodical and straightforward to master. Also, Bill and Andrew Ruffner are very contactable. Planswift is a very good for its on screen takeoff portion. Not so happy about its estimating side of things.

I just purchased Accubid and still learning how to use it. I think it's overkill for any small time or beginner operation. It's very expensive and requires months of thraining to master. On the positive side, once mastered, it is a VERY powerful program that could boost your business significantly, for a number of reasons.

Hope this helps

cdslotz

As an estimator of 8 years, I've found it extremely helpful to fisrt learn how to do takeoffs the good old way with markers, paper, and a measuring wheel (although I grew up in the digital age).

THIS^^^^^^^

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
An estimating program doesn't even do this part. On screen takeoff does.
No software can substitute learning how to estimate properly through an estimating course. The software is just a useful tool to streamline the process. (the same way way you can't learn to be an architect by just learning AutoCAD).
100% it is basically a glorified adding machine in many ways. However, when you take the time to develop assemblies that are company specific, the estimating software prevents many many errors.
I just purchased Accubid and still learning how to use it. I think it's overkill for any small time or beginner operation. It's very expensive and requires months of thraining to master. On the positive side, once mastered, it is a VERY powerful program that could boost your business significantly, for a number of reasons.
It is overpriced for small stuff, but it all depends on where the OP expects to be in 10-20 years. The best advice is to find a program that will do what you want to do forever and build upon you experience over time.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.