ESTIMATING LABOR FACTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1959

I'm being asked to develop my own estimating system, and wondering if there is a source for common labor factors to start with. I'm looking primarily for MCC/Switchgear labor factors per section, and termination factors. thank you

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Is the cost of an estimating software program out of reach?

If so, you could start with a NECA labor book and write up an excel spreadsheet to use if the only thing you’re looking for is switchgear estimating. I think if you actually had some software though you’d be inclined to get more in-depth with your estimating needs.

Jim1959

I'm pretty baffled by my supervisors thinking on this, but he's pretty determined that we won't be using any software that's available and I presented the NECA MLU as a place to start and he doesn't even want me to use that. I'll be building a spreadsheet based system with hundreds of parts all liked together to make it work. I've used a couple of popular software systems in the past and had good success but he won't even consider them. When complete it will work to bid all phases of our work which is fabrication of analyzer buildings, PDCs and measurement skids for the gas and oil industry. I'll have conduit, fittings,wire, cable, enclosures, switchgear, MCCs, breaker panels, controls, transmitters, etc. Should be a challenging project!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Sounds like you're developing a software system your boss can then market. Hope you get more than just a 'thank you' and a basket of fruit!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You know I have also seen excel estimating templates for sale online that are very inexpensive. It’s been a few years since I looked but back then they were less than $100; you’ll still need to edit it to your specific business and input all the pricing.

Have y’all priced any full fledged estimating programs? We just renewed our Conest subscription and I want to say it’s maybe $3k for a single seat license on Intellibid, and as you add more seats the price goes down a little. You probably wouldn’t need any of their other programs for what you’re doing. I think surecount added a couple more thousand, but I just can’t see you using that. I’ll tell you it’s worth the cost, and if it takes you a week or more, which it will, to write your own spreadsheet you’ll be money ahead to buy a program. Just something you can mention to the boss.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Was going to use the LIKE button but;
To the OP, you need time studies for your facility/men; in house, on site. If you don't have them now using "bought" values will give high values in my experience.

cdslotz

Was going to use the LIKE button but;
To the OP, you need time studies for your facility/men; in house, on site. If you don't have them now using "bought" values will give high values in my experience.

Not true....time studies have been done extensively for over 50 years on how long it takes to put on a rain tight connector, a unistrut clamp, a duplex recpt, EMT,GRC,PVC, etc......

I had bosses like that who would question the labor, and my response was always, "I don't argue labor units"..."if you want me to factor it up or down, show me the data you have from previous jobs, then we will change it"

That's how you build a customized data base for your shop. Labor books/software are the starting point

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
show me the data you have from previous jobs, then we will change it"
Like I said he needs, his time studies for his men, at plant fab. and on site fab..
If you bid straight book units you will be too high.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Not true....time studies have been done extensively for over 50 years on how long it takes to put on a rain tight connector, a unistrut clamp, a duplex recpt, EMT,GRC,PVC, etc......

I have to agree with this. I usually don’t question if the labor units are too high; our job-costing shows they’re pretty spot on when doing a thorough take-off. If anything I add some labor, not reduce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

I have to agree with this. I usually don’t question if the labor units are too high; our job-costing shows they’re pretty spot on when doing a thorough take-off. If anything I add some labor, not reduce it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Status
Not open for further replies.