Equipment On/Off Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I am trying to find an on/off switch for equipment that will be used at 230V in the European Union. The equipment has motor and heater loads, as well as control circuitry. The equipment disconnect is the plug from the power chord.

I know that UL and CE are not hot swappable, but I am approaching the problem first from UL. If I use a UL1077 supplementary protector as an on/off switch for my equipment, would the circuit breaker from the power source to the equipment count as the UL489 protection to allow me to use the UL1077 on/off switch for motor loads?

Or, would I have supply my own UL489 breaker within the equipment?

With CE you have to do risk assessments for forseable misuse.

mgookin

Hubbell has some real good applications engineers for switches. You can contact them locally through Greybar or directly through corporate.

PetrosA

I would also recommend making some contacts with EU manufacturers/dealers of electrical gear. From what I've seen here and there, equivalent items here in the US can cost up to 10 times as much or more as in the EU (Pin and sleeve connectors, for example). This could save you a lot of money if the equipment you're making isn't going to be sold here in the US. A dealer for EU equipment would also have the information you're looking for at hand and eliminate a lot of your guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.