Equipment Grounding

EETESLAEE

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Everyone!

I have an existing cooling tower to be replaced in kind. The cooling tower is 30 HP @ 208V/3P and the conductors feeding it are (3) 2/0 (no ground), neutral is not needed.
I noticed that the existing tower does not have an equipment ground. Is there any other way to ground the tower without having to run a grounding wire back to the panel? The reason I ask is that we won't be able to fit a ground in the conduit + the panel is pretty far.

I couldn't find where the code says that you can't run a ground to another (closer) panel or other ways to ground the equipment other than the typical ground to the panel where the tower is fed from.

Please advise.

Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What type conduit is used to feed the unit ?
There is no substitute for an EGC to the source.
(Unless 2/0 is required for voltage drop a smaller conductor could be used on a 30HP motor and likely provide room for an EGC in the conduit)

(typed at same time as roger)

EETESLAEE

Occupation
Engineer
Thank you @roger and @augie47. The conduit is metallic. Can we bond it to the conduit?
I do we have a limit of 20 amps for flexible metal conduits. But couldn't find any limits for EMT or galvanized.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The conduit is metallic. Can we bond it to the conduit?
I do we have a limit of 20 amps for flexible metal conduits. But couldn't find any limits for EMT or galvanized.
Unless there is some flexible conduit in the run the metal raceway is the EGC and is already connected so nothing further is required.