Enphase Q Series Nighttime Power Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanS26

Enphase has decided to not disclose the the nighttime power draw of their Q series micro inverters. The older M series had a small 65mW nighttime draw but the new Q series is significantly more.

Anyone here know the the specs for the Q series?

DanS26

I assumed it was more since Enphase decided to drop the disclosure. I guess I have a jaded opinion of how marketing works.

Just thought someone here has taken an actual measurement. I’ll eat crow and be pleasantly surprised if it is less.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
All I can say is that it will be hard to take a quick measurement because the capacitors in them make for a very low power factor when not outputting. So just putting an amp clamp on it won't do the trick, will give you too high a reading.

DanS26

All I can say is that it will be hard to take a quick measurement because the capacitors in them make for a very low power factor when not outputting. So just putting an amp clamp on it won't do the trick, will give you too high a reading.

Yes, I understand the low PF.

I am getting feedback that these new Q series draw "real" watts greater than 5W each constantly.

If true these are little vampires that put wall warts to shame. I'm hoping this is not the case.

mjlef

New User
Occupation
engineer
Wire a voltmeter in series with the microinvertor (current connections) and measure it.

I would like to know how much the IQ Envoy uses. If someone has a Killowatt meter they could measure it in a minute.

mjlef

New User
Occupation
engineer
So the enphase IQ7/IQ7+ manual is here: https://enphase.com/sites/default/files/downloads/support/IQ7-7plus-7X-Micro-Manual-EN-US.pdf

It shows: "Night tare loss mW 50". Elsewhere on the internet I see this definition:

Night tare loss power
This field contains the “night tare loss” (in W). This is modelled (sic) as ancillary power consumed during standby.

So it appears newer enphase microinvertor draw something like 50 mW or less in standby when not generating power.

It would be great if someone could measure this directly. I will try to do this myself over the next few days to confirm.

Mark

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Lol two years later and I'm still here. Not sure I ever saw that last post from Dan, but anyway... Now I actually have some of these things on my roof, and consumption monitoring, so I might be able to give a solid answer. Our overnight floor on power usage when the fridge cycles off seems to be 36 watts, which includes internet router, Envoy, and a few other appliances and electronics which are probably drawing a few watts. With a dozen IQs on the roof, my wager is that these things couldn't possibly be drawing more than about a watt each. Of course I've got to trust the metering equipment too. There's too much other stuff on at the moment to try to take a measurement but maybe I'll try later.

Status
Not open for further replies.