Enphase Parallel Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandGap1.1eV

So I'm working on an expansion of a legacy Enphase M215 system. I have the new IQ style M215s, the Engage cable, and all the necessary adapters. The expansion is two sub-arrays on either side of a dormer. A total of 12 modules/micros.

My question is thus; can two Enphase sub-arrays be paralleled, or do I need to pipe them as a series circuit? Picture 6 modules on one roof, 6 on the next. Can I wire each as a circuit of 6, then parallel them in a pass-through box before heading to a sub-panel, or do I need to pipe the end of the first circuit of 6, to the beginning of the next circuit?

I swear I've done this in a previous life, but wanted to pole the audience.

Thoughts and prayers.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Electrically, all the Enphase inverters on a "branch" are always in parallel. Physically, the layout could be one long run, or two shorter runs, or whatever topology you want. As long as you have the correct cable and connectors to do what you want, I'm not familiar with their product line.

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
So I'm working on an expansion of a legacy Enphase M215 system. I have the new IQ style M215s, the Engage cable, and all the necessary adapters. The expansion is two sub-arrays on either side of a dormer. A total of 12 modules/micros.

My question is thus; can two Enphase sub-arrays be paralleled, or do I need to pipe them as a series circuit? Picture 6 modules on one roof, 6 on the next. Can I wire each as a circuit of 6, then parallel them in a pass-through box before heading to a sub-panel, or do I need to pipe the end of the first circuit of 6, to the beginning of the next circuit?

I swear I've done this in a previous life, but wanted to pole the audience.
Just wire the Enphase micros as a single branch; microinverters do not care if modules with different orientations are on the same circuit.

BandGap1.1eV

Just wire the Enphase micros as a single branch; microinverters do not care if modules with different orientations are on the same circuit.
this is understood. The question is whether I could "parallel" two sub-arrays into a single junction box, then proceed out of that box with the home run cable to the combiner panel. The alternative would be running the end of one circuit to the beginning of the next. It would ave me ~30' of pipe and wire on a roof if I parallel the circuits in a common junction box.

Now that I'm thinking about it further, the micros are in fact already paralleled via the engage cable. They shouldn't care if I parallel a circuit of 5 with a circuit of 6 external to the engage cable.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
this is understood. The question is whether I could "parallel" two sub-arrays into a single junction box, then proceed out of that box with the home run cable to the combiner panel. The alternative would be running the end of one circuit to the beginning of the next. It would ave me ~30' of pipe and wire on a roof if I parallel the circuits in a common junction box.

Now that I'm thinking about it further, the micros are in fact already paralleled via the engage cable. They shouldn't care if I parallel a circuit of 5 with a circuit of 6 external to the engage cable.
That is correct as long as you do not exceed a total of 16A on any 20A branch.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It's actually better to parallel them, since it reduces the voltage rise as the end of the cable. Enphase calls this 'centerfeeding' and endorses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.