ENPHASE IQ8H-208 micro inverter SPLIT PHASE 208 VOLT ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
what's the difference between residential split Phase 208 volts vs standard 3 phase 208 volts
pr enphase we cannot use that inverter for commercial 3 phase application.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 15

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What is 208V split phase?

I have connected Enphase 208V compatible microinverters phase to phase in three banks (AB, BC, and CA) and it worked fine.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
These are intended for where you are connecting to a 3-wire, single phase 208V service or feeder, which is rare. I'm sure they would work in a small system if connected them to one phase of a three phase system with the Envoy connected to the same phase. But you wouldn't want to do that at scale, the utility probably wouldn't like the unbalanced output.

Enphase has other 3-phase micros in the IQ8 series and a different 3-phase Envoy (aka Gateway) and evidently they want to sell those and will not support these in a 3-phase system.
I have connected Enphase 208V compatible microinverters phase to phase in three banks (AB, BC, and CA) and it worked fine.
The IQ8 series mostly won't do that anymore.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
These are intended for where you are connecting to a 3-wire, single phase 208V service or feeder, which is rare. I'm sure they would work in a small system if connected them to one phase of a three phase system with the Envoy connected to the same phase. But you wouldn't want to do that at scale, the utility probably wouldn't like the unbalanced output.

Enphase has other 3-phase micros in the IQ8 series and a different 3-phase Envoy (aka Gateway) and evidently they want to sell those and will not support these in a 3-phase system.

The IQ8 series mostly won't do that anymore.
for some reason their one of design manger said still iq7 plus and iq7A will be their prime choice inverters for three phase installation for 2023.

Carultch

what's the difference between residential split Phase 208 volts vs standard 3 phase 208 volts
pr enphase we cannot use that inverter for commercial 3 phase application.

The idea is that you might have a single phase service that is derived from a 208V wye master service to an entire site. This is common for apartments. The complex gets a 3-phase service, and each dwelling unit gets a 120/208V "single phase" service. You might get the black/red/white circuit to your dwelling unit, while your neighbor gets red/blue/white. Another neighbor would get blue/black/white. The phasing is staggered among all the dwelling units, to minimize the loading on the master transformer.

This is not split-phase. Split-phase is the 240V service that is center-tapped to derive two equal and opposite 120V-to-neutral lines. I prefer the term "open wye" for the kind of circuit for 120/208V single phase, but that name hasn't caught on.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
OTOH, you can use a 120/240 single phase panel in that application.
Yet 240V line to line heating applicances with significant capacitive leakage in heating elements can trip two pole GFCIs when they would not in a true single-phase configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.