EMT Thru Metal Studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronball

Occupation
Electric Contractor
Bidding a large City project ( GYM , offices)where all outlets and switches are hard piped(EMT)
Seems high, but my calculations are estimating about 3 hrs per 30' of 3/4 emt with 4 square,
connectors,mud ring outlet or switch, and plate, includes 3 conductor wire pull also, . Could use some imput.
Thx
Ron

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bidding a large City project ( GYM , offices)where all outlets and switches are hard piped(EMT)
Seems high, but my calculations are estimating about 3 hrs per 30' of 3/4 emt with 4 square,
connectors,mud ring outlet or switch, and plate, includes 3 conductor wire pull also, . Could use some imput.
Thx
Ron
You know best your skill level at such things. There are some people who are amazingly fast at some things. I would not worry all that much about how long it would take someone else. If you are going to do the work, you should bid what you think it will take you to complete the work.

Where I used to work, if we got a contract because we were the low bid, the first thing we did was a review of the project so see what we had forgotten before accepting the P.O. I am serious about this. We just were not the low bidder very often.

JMNSHO.

whofrankw

hmmm..if your going thru metal studs. dont forget bends. i did a job were we had to make candy cane bends. Not to mention if you have to make knock outs thru the studs. three hours per 30 feet seems light... unless you are doing straight runs with no bends for a lonnnnnng time. one last note, you are going to have to cut the pipe a lot to get it in the studs.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Whatever number you come up with, add 50%. They'll except. That's how valuable we are now. Seriously.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
hmmm..if your going thru metal studs. dont forget bends. i did a job were we had to make candy cane bends. Not to mention if you have to make knock outs thru the studs. three hours per 30 feet seems light... unless you are doing straight runs with no bends for a lonnnnnng time. one last note, you are going to have to cut the pipe a lot to get it in the studs.
Funny you mention that. A while back I always thought the holes in the metal studs lined up with the boxes so you'd go straight in/out of box. Then I went and started seeing the installs and the holes in the studs were quite a bit higher than the box. Hence the candy cane.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean? Why threading EMT?
I mean threading the EMT through the studs, not threading the EMT itself.

If I have a horizontal run, and don't want to use many couplings, I'll unscrew the studs, push them together at one end of the tracks (top and bottom "plates"), put the EMT in place, then spread the studs back out over the EMT and put the screws back in.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I mean threading the EMT through the studs, not threading the EMT itself.

If I have a horizontal run, and don't want to use many couplings, I'll unscrew the studs, push them together at one end of the tracks (top and bottom "plates"), put the EMT in place, then spread the studs back out over the EMT and put the screws back in.
And the carpenters union doesn't complain about this?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
And the carpenters union doesn't complain about this?
That's what I was wondering about. Sometimes on a job if we got along good with carpenters they would give us a hand with stuff like that.
Also, we started using 4 11/16 boxes instead of 4 square. Amazing how much more room that gives you for finish.

Sparky Adam

Master Electrician
Occupation
Operations Manager / Master Electrician
Seems a bit low, especially considering the amount of work to get them into the studs, knocking holes in studs, strapping, offsets, etc....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've only done it a few times, when the studs wouldn't flex enough.

I mentioned it more to point out an alternative.

Buck Parrish

Thx
Ron
Does that mean you can not install pvc in the slab? I have used EMT in the slab, 10,000 feet. I used compression fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.