EMT support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky II

New User
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A row of 4-foot fluorescent strips are mounted with 30" runs of 1/2" EMT in between. The NEC requires support within 3', but since these fixtures are less than 3' apart, is a separate support required or will the fittings (steel set-screw) be sufficient? I know the fittings now are considered support for flex, but I'm not sure about this installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, the code language requires a support, but don't see a real world reason to provide support.

A couple of cycles ago, I submitted a PI to specifically permit the connectors to provide the required support for short lengths like this, but it was rejected.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 30" lengths of EMT require support, even if they're only 3" or even less in length they still require support.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
In my opinion, the code language requires a support, but don't see a real world reason to provide support.

A couple of cycles ago, I submitted a PI to specifically permit the connectors to provide the required support for short lengths like this, but it was rejected.
there was a code cycle a while back that included language for omitting straps for less than 3'. The language was only there for one cycle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
there was a code cycle a while back that included language for omitting straps for less than 3'. The language was only there for one cycle.
Yes, was in the 2008 NEC lasted one code cycle.

358.30(C) Unsupported Raceways. Where oversized, concentric or eccentric knockouts are not encountered, Type EMT
shall be permitted to be unsupported where the raceway is not more than 450 mm (18 in.) and remains in unbroken
lengths (without coupling). Such raceways shall terminate in an outlet box, device box, cabinet, or other termination at
each end of the raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.