EMT-Raintight Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

I know that the issue of EMT raintight fittings listing with UL is fairly new (UL's website mandates this as of April - 2003). My question is, has anybody run into a problem in the field with this yet?
How are people preparing for this? Are you going to ignore it for a while and still install EMT in wet locations, or what?
Are manufacturers going to take returns on the products that have already been purchased?

Is this something not to worry about?
Are there other similiar issues pending with UL?
I have many more questions, I will wait on some.

Pierre

bphgravity

Re: EMT-Raintight Fittings

I live in SW Florida where we average about 6 feet of rain per hour. Okay it just seems like sometimes, but we are very, very wet everday until winter starts. That will be two days in January and then it will be rainy season again.

I have installed EMT in facilities such as greenhouses, outdoor irigation systems, and other various wet locations.

I use conductors listed for wet locations, ensure my raceways are arranged to drain, and never enter the "top" of an enclosure.

I have never had a problem and feel that the listing issue is blown out of proportion and of minor concern.

This is just my opinion. I am more concerned with issues like using EMT as a the EGC in locations and on runs that are likely to have compromised continuity.

The water verses electricity issue is as old as load stone and iron tipped sticks. Water finds its way into RNC, RMC, and any other conduit system that is burried or outdoors. I have even had to drain LFNC Sealtight on a few occasions. :eek:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bryan, excellent post and thank you ;)

Roger

iwire

Staff member

You just can not beat a common sense approach. :)

But beware comments like this will bring out the listing thumpers. :( :mad:

jrdsg

"The water verses electricity issue is as old as load stone and iron tipped sticks. Water finds its way into RNC, RMC, and any other conduit system that is burried or outdoors. I have even had to drain LFNC Sealtight on a few occasions."

absolutely. we do mostly communications wiring, and we never use anything but direct-burial rated cable in outdoor or buried conduit. often the underground conduit is damaged during burial or by paving equipment before we get to pull through it. inevitably anything exposed will fill with water. at least here in the northwest.

pierre

Hello

I have just come back from 6 day in 'sunny California'. Too bad it rained for 6 days.Talk about a lot of building, and people, jeez it is incredible, and I am from NY. I of course got side tracked and took pictures, maybe I will post some. It is good to see how other parts of the country perform their installations.
I asked some guys about the UL compression fittings situation and they were not aware of it.

I am still curious if anybody has run into this in the field aka an inspection, are any of you still installing them? As much as we have used this practice since the beginning of time, now it would seem to me to be nonconforming to the NEC. Is anyone aware of how the manufacturers are dealing with this?

Bryan - how does one go about 'arrange to drain' a raceway? I am very curious, because I have read it in the NEC, but have never been trained to actually do it. Most guys here laugh when I mention it.

Pierre

bphgravity

Hello Pierre!

Welcome Back! I just realized this morning that we are colleagues on the Informer Newsletter! Do you work with Mr. Henry on any other projects?

I actually asked this same question back on the old archived version of this forum. My concern then was drilling "weep-holes" into the bottom of boxes and conduit bodies for the purpose of draining and still being compliant with 312.5(A).

The best product I have seen for this purpose is a drain plug fitting that can be tapped into a box or fitting to allow for draining of water infiltration. Other than this, I do not believe there is any common practice to meet this requirment. :)

bennie

Esteemed Member

NESC Standards require that all underground conduit must be installed to prevent filling with water.

The NESC does not consider the interior of underground conduit as being a wet location. The conduit may be in a wet location but the interior is not.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

This actually goes into the common sense article, I can't ever remember the number.

Bryan 312.5(A) wouldn't be an issue because weep holes are not conductor entrances.

As far as conduit (raceway) draining, years ago I worked on a few jobs in the Sarasota area designed by a smart engineer who had all underground runs pitch towards somewhere near the middle with a T fitting and a french drain at this location. Is this an approved conduit installation, who cares, it worked. ;)

Roger

charlie

NESC Standards require that all underground conduit must be installed to prevent filling with water.

The NESC does not consider the interior of underground conduit as being a wet location. The conduit may be in a wet location but the interior is not.
Bennie, I would be interested in the referance. I know that our network trucks carry sump pumps to pump out manholes when they have water in them.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I am in error Charlie. The Standard is NEMA Bulletin No.TCB2. I remember reading it a long time ago.
Also check out ANSI/NEMA TC8 Bulletin.

[ June 23, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

Go to the NEMA website.NEMA bulletin TCB2 cost to download $ 34.00 American. No way! I don't want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.