EMT or PVC spacers for a heat sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Soon I will be installing an LED driver for a customer. I was going to mount it directly to a floor joist but the directions say not to mount directly to a combustible material. So, I'm going to cut 1/2" pieces of 1/2" emt or pvc in order to provide an air gap between the driver and the joist. I talked with the driver's manufacturer's tech and he said he liked the idea of the spacers, but gave the nod to emt as it will dissipate heat better. My theory is, emt will also conduct the heat to the joist much better than the pvc will. So, which would you use in this case, emt or pvc?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
For what it is worth, namely nothing, I would use PVC as long as the surface temperatures on the box were not above the thermal limit for PVC.
Technically PVC is combustible after all. :angel:

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Ugh.. not this again. I had to have a UL field rep come to one of my recent installations...

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
For what it is worth, namely nothing, I would use PVC as long as the surface temperatures on the box were not above the thermal limit for PVC.
Technically PVC is combustible after all. :angel:

Absolutely PVC is combustible. Put it in a hotbox for a long time and see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.