EMT in side Class 1 Div 2 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
What is the is with running EMT inside a class 1 div 2 area with compression watertight connectors. I am about to build a Methane plant isside a build in the midwest and the the prints indicate area is class 1 div 2. Also will my high bay lighting and receptacles be required to be rated class 1 div 2 by default.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
See NEC 501.10(B), you can use IMC with thread-less fittings, cablebus and MC among other wiring methods (with listed fittings), I dont see EMT in the list.
Presumably because if you had a accidental combustable gas leak the EMT W/rain tight is not air tight and might be a place gas could go, MC cant get filled with gas.
Sometimes you luck out and the lighting is out of the boundary

kwired

Electron manager
I've been involved with running EMT with compression fittings in class 2 div 2 but don't think you can with class 1 at all.

exception possibly if you pass completely through the classified area with no fittings, though that is probably a little rare.

kwired

Electron manager
See NEC 501.10(B), you can use IMC with thread-less fittings, cablebus and MC among other wiring methods (with listed fittings), I dont see EMT in the list.
Presumably because if you had a accidental combustable gas leak the EMT W/rain tight is not air tight and might be a place gas could go, MC cant get filled with gas.
Sometimes you luck out and the lighting is out of the boundary
Thread-less fittings for RMC/IMC use same design as EMT compression fittings, I don't see why that would be a factor, unless there is something out there more equivalent to "pro-press" fittings used on other piping that is listed for use as an electrical conduit fitting, but that isn't your typical thread-less fitting and should need more clarification to a certain type if it is allowed. JMO, didn't read section you quoted either so I could be missing something.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Quite simply, EMT (with any form of connector) is not recognized as a suitable wiring method in Class I, Division 2 except as part of a nonincendive or intrinsically safe installation. It isn't included in Section 501.10 B(1). The poor wording in Section 358.10(A)(3) may give an incorrect impression but read it carefully.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It is odd MC is allowed, but it has listed fittings for the location.
I have mostly just used Rigid or IMC in 'industrial' and EMT in 'commercial' and residential work.

Status
Not open for further replies.