EMT In Metal Stud Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you had to run EMT to feed these 4" boxes that a lot of bending I'm thinking as obviously the metal stud opening where your running the EMT is not at same height as the boxes....just like you were feeding receptacles. You woud go in/out of every box and bend at stud opening, correct? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 59

kwired

Electron manager
If you had to run EMT to feed these 4" boxes that a lot of bending I'm thinking as obviously the metal stud opening where your running the EMT is not at same height as the boxes....just like you were feeding receptacles. You woud go in/out of every box and bend at stud opening, correct? Thanks.
I have a stud punch tool so I can put a hole wherever I want in the metal stud and not have to use prepunched holes in the stud.

Still depending on boxes you use, you may not have KO's in the side of box that has mounting bracket. but if using standard box and a support bracket so box is essentially suspended between studs, then you have ability to make the run with no bends other than maybe a small offset at each box.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have a stud punch tool so I can put a hole wherever I want in the metal stud and not have to use prepunched holes in the stud.

Still depending on boxes you use, you may not have KO's in the side of box that has mounting bracket. but if using standard box and a support bracket so box is essentially suspended between studs, then you have ability to make the run with no bends other than maybe a small offset at each box.

Got ya on putting bracket between studs and ko's on side of box but you would have ot stud punch more than likely, correct?

kwired

Electron manager
Got ya on putting bracket between studs and ko's on side of box but you would have ot stud punch more than likely, correct?
Yes. If not familiar with stud punch, it takes just a second to punch the hole, takes longer to move the tool up to the stud and take it away again.

https://www.toolup.com/Greenlee-710-Metal-Stud-Punch-1-11-32-Diameter

also if done correctly centers the hole in a typical 2x4 metal stud, and there are plastic bushings that fit the holes(or prepunched holes) if needed for cables you may be running.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would probably use a punch or hole-saw and use straight nipples, assembling the boxes from one end to the other.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would probably use a punch or hole-saw and use straight nipples, assembling the boxes from one end to the other.

What I would do too. You can start at one end of the partition and slide a stick horizontally through to the boxes. Then go from box to box. Don't forget too that you can "wrestle" with the steel studs by twisting them to get your conduit through the holes. Position your boxes properly and there shouldn't be any bending.

And remember, couplings are your friend if all else fails.

-Hal

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Along with using a stud punch I would unscrew the studs, install the emt through the holes and slide the studs back in place, it was relatively fast and easy.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.