Emg Gen Back Up System

Status
Not open for further replies.

doninphx

I have to put in an emergancy gen with a transfer sw and transformer to service a 100 amp panel with about 40 amps of load on it.
Is there an easy way to find the calculations to size the generator, trans, and panel?
right now I have a 17.5 KW gen 120v/208 3 ph

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I had temporarily moved this thread to an area accessible only to the Moderators. I had taken that action because this appeared to me to be a DIY situation. Being an engineer, I had no idea that the ?JIW? in the member?s profile meant ?Journeyman Inside Wiring.?

I am returning this tread to the active area. I offer an apology to doninphx for the delay and for the inconvenience.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If your load is 40A, 208V, 3 phase, then that would use 208 * 40 * sqrt(3) = 14.4 KVA. So a 17.5 KW generator sounds pretty close. I am assuming the 40A isn't one large motor...otherwise the generator might have problems starting the motor.

doninphx

i am an electrican for 30 years+, but i was just trying to find a easier way of gathering this data. there are programs out there i understand that work well. if you dont do this offtin you kind of get rusty.

thanks for your help. don

W6SJK

doninphx said:
I have to put in an emergancy gen with a transfer sw and transformer to service a 100 amp panel with about 40 amps of load on it.
Is there an easy way to find the calculations to size the generator, trans, and panel?
right now I have a 17.5 KW gen 120v/208 3 ph

Suggestion: Don't call it an "emergency" generator unless it is supplying legally required emergency loads. As you may know, you can't mix non-em loads or non-em wiring with emergency wiring. And you can't connect non-em loads to an em panel or transfer switch.

If it is not for legally required emergency loads such as em lighting, call it a standby generator.

The vendors would be happy to run the calc for you with your data, including motor HPs and non motor loads.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Status
Not open for further replies.