EMF in electrical rooms ( Safe ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Is there difference between the original question regarding EMF and the concern of RF from a cell phone? Is RF and AC power generation EMF the same energy? If I'm correct RF is high frequency EMF and has had a higher level of scrutiny because of cellular devices, the EMF from AC power generation and distribution is low frequency EMF.
I believe the issue that created such a buzz over cell phone as well as other radio transmission is RF, that has been studied enough to create safety warnings over high level exposure, to the point of modification of cellular phones, and to be made more public.
"According to the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), EMFs are “possibly carcinogenic to humans.” The IARC believes that some studies show a possible link between EMFs and cancer in people." Here is the source quoted:
Here is another study report done by a source more relevant to individuals working around EMF, NIOSH.

Based on this information reasonable precautions would dictate that establishing a "permanent" working station would be ill advised.
It also from observation that cows might be smarter than humans in relationship to low frequency EMF emanating from high power AC transmission lines, they avoid hanging around and grazing underneath the 750kv transmission lines run through the north country of NYS.
The cows avoiding space under a HV transmission line I would guess probably has more to do with inducing voltage/currents in objects below the lines than it does with EMF's. If they get a tingle from voltage gradients in the soil they are walking on they will avoid those areas. This true even when no transmission line is causing said gradients.

cuba_pete

Is there difference between the original question regarding EMF and the concern of RF from a cell phone? Is RF and AC power generation EMF the same energy? If I'm correct RF is high frequency EMF and has had a higher level of scrutiny because of cellular devices, the EMF from AC power generation and distribution is low frequency EMF.

You point out a huge difference. As part of my job, I routinely monitor our facility for EMI and RFI. I check several areas across the spectrum for power triplen effects, cellular, WiFi, EHF, SHF, etc. not quite at TEMPEST levels, but close.

Though lower frequencies can be more powerful or palpable at lower measured levels due to their inherent nature, it can surely be observed that standard 60Hz power produces very low levels in a normal environment. I've had a number of electro-sensitive people (I take them at their word since I'm not a doctor) who work in my facility which has led me to do more research into the matter over the past 20 years or so.

We all know about flicker, which is nothing more than an effect of frequency, and that it can play havoc with an individual's vision and produce headaches and such. I am sure that there must be several other points along the spectrum which can have a measurable effect. I am not sure what or where, but I can't discount it.

Luckily for ES people in my facility, I can keep the noise to a minimum by using relatively simple grounding, bonding, and shielding.

The desk in that room would reasonably lead one to consider it to being used as an occupiable space. Heat stress, ventilation, combustibles, and lighting would be easier to go after rather than the obscure (and yet to be regulated in the US as near as I can tell) EMF requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.