Emergency Lighting Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

I'm looking for a relay. What I have in a building is an emergency light. It has one bulb that is for emergency (power loss) and another bulb that is for normal use. Each bulb is fed from (2) different panels. Normal bulb from normal lighting panel, and the emergency bulb from a separate emergency panel that just does emergency lighting. In the event of power loss, the generator kicks on and simply lights up the bulb in the fixture that is for emergency egress. So the fixture is bad. Instead of getting a special type of fixture that has 2 seperate bulbs, I was wondering if there was a relay that I could use for a regular light with one source that in the event of a power loss, it could automatically switch the feed to generator panel. Like a relay I could install right at the light fixture that has normal power coming into it, emergency power coming in (which will always be off unless generator kicks on) and then the load of the relay goes to the light fixture.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There may be a packaged device made for this, but a simple one can be made with a small double-throw relay.

Decide if you want it energized during normal or emergency, and wire each source to the appropriate terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.