Emergency lighting for a hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalanjeya

I am doing service load calculation for a hospital . Which includes examination room, DIRECTOR ROOM,CFO ROOM, OFFICE , IT ROOM, MAIL ROOM, FILE RECORDS ROOM,STAFF ROOM, CASH MANAGER, ADMIN ROOM ,CHECK IN, CONFERENCE ROOM, PHARMACY,WAITING AREA etc,.

I know to calculate lighting load,and we have HVAC equipment load,plumping load .

I am struggling to calculate

1) general receptacle load ,
2) emergency lighting load and
3) emergency receptacle load.

Could any one guide me how to calculate or any link to perform calculation.

Thanks

boater bill

I would start with receptacle load-180 VA per duplex receptacle. Standard or emergency.
Emergency lighting is usually done by fixture count and wattage because of the backup battery va requirements.

rzuffi

I usually use 180W per convenience receptacle and 250-300W per receptacle that will have PCs on them. That is for office space though.

For emergency lighting and receptacles, you have to make sure you have a seperate EM panel for these circuits and that your voltage for the panel matches the fixture and receptacle. (ie: 277V fixture won't work with 208/120V panel).

Is this a new hospital?
I haven't done a hospital, but I'm sure that receptacles for certain equipment that needs to operate without any interruption, so you will need a UPS.
Emergency generator for the lights too if there isn't one already.

You would have to choose your emergency lighting and receptacles before you did your calcs for emergency lighting and receptacles.
Emergency lighting for a typical building is usually set up according to the path of egress plus wherever else it is needed.
Emergency receptacles are set up according to what equipment needs it.

If you are laying this all out by yourself, make sure you follow NFPA 99 - Health Care Facilities, NFPA 101 - Life Safety Code, NFPA 101B - Means of Egress and there are many more.
Wish I could help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.