Emergency Lighting - Conduit Supporting Luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I am working with a utility, performing general walkdowns after construction is complete at a new LNG facility. In a recent walkdown I questioned the emergency lighting installation. I notice conduits and fittings supporting luminaires. I searched online for NEC references and have found section 310.11 (C) which provides information regarding raceways used as mean of support; also NEC 314.23(F) speaks of raceway supported enclosures with luminaires and also NEC 410.36 regarding luminaire support means. I am slightly confused as to whether all the electrical devices in the attached photo require the device to be supported or are the conduit and fittings providing ample support for the devices, in accordance with the NEC 2017? (The contract for the project uses NEC 2017).
Thank you for your feedback.

Attachments

• E Lighting.PNG
    E Lighting.PNG
    944 KB · Views: 22
  • E Lighting 2.PNG
    E Lighting 2.PNG
    682 KB · Views: 22

Buck Parrish

Kudos to Charles R Miller, that was a fine article he wrote in the EC Magazine. Very well written.
Michele in the pic you've provided. It looks like to me that all rigid or IMC was utilized in this installation. However, they may have used an Ericson or threadless connector in at least three locations that I can see.
I don't think it matters via 370, but it could be confusing to those not familiar with that type of connector.

Michele

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Thank you very much for the C Miller article reference and your feedback. I agree that the article is very well written. It appears article 370 became article 314.23 in the 2017 Code as I found similar excerpts in 314.23 (E) & (F). Either way it appears with the one conduit opening the install is not a code violation. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.