Emergency generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkis

I am installing a new emergency generator in a high school. i know i will need to provide 3 ATS (automatic transfer switch) one for the fire pump, one for the fire alarm and one for the corridors light, exit sign, & elevator.
my question is how do i connect all of these to the emergency generator?
the em generator will have a fuel tank, who do connection of fuel tank? how does it get fuel?

thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Emergency generator

Delkis, you need to look at NFPA 110, NFPA 20, NFPA 70, to start with.

These questions seem odd for a "Building Wiring Engineer" to be asking.

I'm not trying to be rude.

Roger

[ August 08, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Keep in mind the NEC article 700-701-702 depends on what type of generator you are installing. For example only Art 700 is "emergency" generators.

Fuel tanks and such is not in the scope of the NEC. Have you ever done a generator installation before?

delkis

I KNOW-THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I DESIGN AN EMERGENCY GENERATOR PROJECT-AND NO YOU ARE NOT RUDE

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

how about an "emergency" panel fed in normal situation by utility and in emerg by generator..... i dont think fire pump van be fed from this panel

bwyllie

Why a seperate ATS for the fire alarm. I think this could be powered from the ATS for corridor ltg, elev,etc. Generators can be ordered with multiple circuit breakers to feed the multiple ATS's that you may have. you will need to get a HVAC/Plumbing company to do the connections to the fuel tank.

[ August 09, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: bwyllie ]

Status
Not open for further replies.