Emergency Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Question.... may be a dumb one... in a relatively typical Overhead Residential Single Phase 3-Wire Service...

If the exterior disconnect is designated as the Emergency Disconnect only, NOT the Service Disconnect.... could the Emergency Disconnect be rated higher than the Service Disconnect?

For example, could I put in a Nema 3R 200A Main Breaker Panel as the Emergency Disconnect outside....
...and run this on #3 AWG to a 100A Main Breaker Panel inside?

Trying to see if there is a way to do a 100A swap, old for new, with the capacity to be more easily upgraded to 200A than ripping out the entire meter and disconnect.

Jerramundi

Occupation
I've also looked into General Duty Non-Fusible Safety Switches, but nothing for 200A is anywhere near the same price as a Milbank Meter/Breaker combo. Hundred of dollars more to separate the Meter and Emergency Disconnect.

I find it strange that (1) a Nema 3R 200A Main Breaker Panel is CHEAPER than (2) a Nema 3R 200A General Duty, Non-Fusible Safety Switch

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Question.... may be a dumb one... in a relatively typical Overhead Residential Single Phase 3-Wire Service...

If the exterior disconnect is designated as the Emergency Disconnect only, NOT the Service Disconnect.... could the Emergency Disconnect be rated higher than the Service Disconnect?

For example, could I put in a Nema 3R 200A Main Breaker Panel as the Emergency Disconnect outside....
...and run this on #3 AWG to a 100A Main Breaker Panel inside?

Trying to see if there is a way to do a 100A swap, old for new, with the capacity to be more easily upgraded to 200A than ripping out the entire meter and disconnect.
I wouldn’t see why not, if my mind serves me correctly without looking in a book. I don’t believe the emergency disconnect requires any form of OCPD. So I certainly wouldn’t think it to be a issue for it to be a higher rated than your service gear and conductors.

Jerramundi

Occupation
I wouldn’t see why not, if my mind serves me correctly without looking in a book. I don’t believe the emergency disconnect requires any form of OCPD. So I certainly wouldn’t think it to be a issue for it to be a higher rated than your service gear and conductors.
That's what I'm thinking.... as long the Main Service Disconnect IS still rated to cover said service gear and conductors...

Obviously strict labeling would be required... and there's the issue of terminal wire size rating, but I've resolved that. Found a 200A Outdoor CB that will accept #3 AWG (100A). I feel as long as the labeling requirements are clear that IT IS NOT THE SERVICE DISCONNECT!! 😫 It should be fine as long as the Main Service Disco INSIDE still covers the gear.

Last edited:

Jerramundi

Occupation
@Dsg319 It's a solution that feels like it's starting to get a little dicey for some reason, but one that I think you could make the argument for.

Probably "dicey" feeling just because the handle reads 200A, but the rest of the gear is not. Even if the labeling is correct (i.e. identifying it as an "Emergency Disconnect [Only]. Not Service Equipment.", which I think you could argue would make it code compliant, the fact the rest of gear doesn't match the rating on the handle just feels... off...

Just trying to do this so that my new 100A service doesn't have to be COMPLETELY RIPPED OUT if they want to go to 200A, but I'm just nice like that :cool:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
@Dsg319 It's a solution that feels like it's starting to get a little dicey for some reason, but one that I think you could make the argument for.

Probably "dicey" feeling just because the handle reads 200A, but the rest of the gear is not. Even if the labeling is correct (i.e. identifying it as an "Emergency Disconnect [Only]. Not Service Equipment.", which I think you could argue would make it code compliant, the fact the rest of gear doesn't match the rating on the handle just feels... off...

Just trying to do this so that my new 100A service doesn't have to be COMPLETELY RIPPED OUT if they want to go to 200A, but I'm just nice like that :cool:
I deffintly understand where you are coming from. While I think it is perfectly compliant as long as your labeling is correct, others might still wanna argue.

Biggest question is....do you know the inspector lol, to have him to be on the same page of understanding the difference in your set up. Emergency disconnect is strictly all it is.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Label it: Emergency Disconnect For 100 Amp Service
Going with the 100A version. Doing it so that swapping it for the 200A equivalent would take only $150 new breaker and nothing more than shorting the nipple in between (for a slighter taller enclosure)... plus all the other, other service upgrades, haha. But as far as the Emergency Disconnect is concerned, this is already infinitely better than having to rip a relatively new $180 meter/brkr combo out and buy the new $300-$400 200A equivalent combination. Meter stays put, already 200A. The separate EM Disco comes out, new one goes in. Pipe is already 2", just new wire needed.

But appreciate the input all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.