Emergency button for MV generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it required as per NEC to put an additional emergency stop button for the MV GENSET adjacent to the exit door? as it is well known there is the main one on the generator body itself.

ron

NFPA 110-2005 Section 5.6.5.6 requires a remote manual stop station (EPO) of a type to prevent inadvertent or unintentional operation located outside the room from where the generator is located. Not the NEC

If NFPA 110 is enforced in your jurisdiction, then you will need one in addition to the one on the gen controller.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
NFPA 110-2005 Section 5.6.5.6 requires a remote manual stop station (EPO) of a type to prevent inadvertent or unintentional operation located outside the room from where the generator is located. Not the NEC

If NFPA 110 is enforced in your jurisdiction, then you will need one in addition to the one on the gen controller.
The OP is using the IEC standards. I have no idea what may be required in this case.

paulengr

Is the “room” the generator enclosure or the “room” where it’s at? Makes a difference if it’s open frame or not. And if the room is smoke filled, has a fuel fire, etc., you may need an “external” access but again there is a big difference between say an open frame running in a basement room with an external fuel tank and a self-contained unit sitting on a fuel tank/spill containment with its own noise abatement, etc., designed for use outdoors but sitting in a room with intake and exhaust piping so that technically it’s a room within a room. Many Caterpillar generators I’ve worked on are mounted in shipping containers where the whole thing is self contained with an E-Stop on the outside but I’ve worked on them outside in remote locations, mounted on a ship-to-shore crane, and indoors inside a hospital and a prison. And not all fall under NFPA 110. It depends on if it is “critical” backup protection (hospital, etc.) or merely ordinary backups such as a department store. Many facilities see the list of required maintenance and the NFPA 110 requirements and decide its either not THAT critical or like hospitals run so much redundancy that loss of a generator is no longer critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.