Eliminating J-Boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Re: Eliminating J-Boxes?

Originally posted by hurk27:
use a streaght edge. There will be a bow out where the box forces the drywall to bow around the box.
Yeah, this one guy told me about the straight edge trick...good idea. :D

hurk27

It doesn't work every time as when a mudder fills in a box that was cut out in the drywall there will be no bulge. or if there is a warped stud it can through you off but if you also use a stud finder and a tic tracer with this method you can get very accurate. Of course I now have a GreenLee tracer that get's even closer. ;)

[ December 17, 2004, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

jimwalker

Good ones almost never.Bad ones will learn fast if you back charge or leave them wall damage.If you do it free they will never care.Yesterday in 5,000 sq foot office i only had 1 covered.They tried to do a good job so i cut it out in 5 minutes and said nothing.

[ December 17, 2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I echo Jim's statements, save one: some bad ones never learn if you backcharge them into bankruptcy! The two techniques that amaze me are:

1. The box gets cut out by the sheetrocker, but the mudder artfully covers the box, texture guy does his job, etc. Thanks to the duct tape I think the insulators put on the box, you wind up with no bulge, but all you do to find the box is thump the wall where you think it is, and it hops out. :)

2. The box is buried by the sheetrocker, and they have this inexplicable bulge that drives them crazy and they drive a zillion screws around the box trying to suck it back in! I wonder if that's ever worked out for them...?

midget

LOL...they just keep putting screws in? :p My dad project managed a remodel of my sister's house after it burned...and I had to like go around and mark on the floor where all the boxes were for lights and recpetacles and stuff...I was like did we hire stupid people that are gonna burry a bunch of stuff? Do you always have to go mark the floor where stuff is? lol

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I don't, but sometimes the super or the drywall guys do. It does help if they buried a box and you see spray paint on the floor where the box could be, but weren't looking. :)

peter d

Originally posted by midget:
I was like did we hire stupid people that are gonna burry a bunch of stuff? Do you always have to go mark the floor where stuff is? lol
Well, unfortunately, many sheetrockers abuse liquids and chemicals and they have a tendency to cover up just about anything electrical. Having 2, 3, or more "missing" outlets/lights is not uncommon. :roll:

midget

Nothing got burried, thankfully, but the crayon I marked stuff with started like coming off the floor...spray paint is a better idea. :D

jimwalker

A smart super that cares about his project will use paint.A line at the stud then either a left or right L depending on what side outlet is on.What pisses me is that even if the super is willing to cut them out ,i have already lost more time than it was worth.An outlet should get installed in about 5 minutes so if we gotta stop or go back we lost time and money.Charge a min of 1 hour to find them and they get the message or go out of buisness.Beyond that there is not much we can do.

indcom

J-boxes can be used in any locations that are not permanently concealed in walls, floors, and like instances.
Also, they must be suitable for their location and wire fill. Nema 1 (N1)for indoor and Nema 3 R (N3R) for outdoor and damp/wet locations.

Personally, I'd clean it up and say either Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Father's Day, or "It's Just Because I Care" day.

midget

Yeah, I wanted to clean it all up, rip it all out, and start over, bit he didn't like that idea.

hurk27

By midget: but the crayon I marked stuff with started like coming off the floor
I know your still in school but I thought you had graduated from writing on floors with crayons? :D

But I do wan't to point out that you should not use anything other than lightly drawn with a pencil to mark on any surface that will be painted or you will have a very unhappy painter looking for you. ;)

We had a novice builder who once gave the home owner a black magic marker to mark anything they want to have fixed. Like a bad spot in the drywall. The painter about flipped, it looked like kids had a hay day with the marker. it cost the builder about $2,000 to have the painter cover it up. :roll:

midget

Wood floors went in there...so there was no problem with the crayon. But yeah, magic marker on walls...geez. That's no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.