Elevator Room Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthcare2

Occupation
Electrician
Recently had an elevator inspection done at my facility and elevator inspector told me I cannot have multiple disconnects in the same room for the same equipment. My question is on them they state elevator control switch. On the inside is a breaker, fuses, and some control wiring. Also this device would trip if overloaded, so would you still consider that a disconnect and not more like a motor starter? If so would they still be allowed in the same room.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What does this mean? You cannot say have a disconnect by the door and then another by the equipment because the first disconnect is not within sight?
I cannot have multiple disconnects in the same room for the same equipment

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Per ASME 17.1 2.8.1 basically if it pertains to the operation of the elevator then it is permitted in the same Control / Machine Room

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have had machine rooms with 3 disconnecting means for each elevator motor due to the design of the room.

Healthcare2

Occupation
Electrician
What does this mean? You cannot say have a disconnect by the door and then another by the equipment because the first disconnect is not within sight?

What I mean is in the room there are five older disconnect that is being fed from a trough that feed five elevators. From the trough they go to five separate disconnects for each elevator. Out of that disconnect somebody installed elevator motor controls that also have a disconnect handle but will trip in a overload condition. Inspector stated cannot have two disconnect in the same room for the same equipment. But my question is it really a disconnect if it trips in a overload condition since behind the handle is a circuit breaker.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you're talking about there means in series (i.e., operating any one will disconnect power to the equipment), I don't see any prohibition against that. There's not even any prohibition on the equipment being fed by multiple sources as long as you put on appropriate warning signs.

Healthcare2

Occupation
Electrician
If you're talking about there means in series (i.e., operating any one will disconnect power to the equipment), I don't see any prohibition against that. There's not even any prohibition on the equipment being fed by multiple sources as long as you put on appropriate warning signs.
Machine Room.jpg

So the inspector wants me to remove the disconnects above the elevator controls, but wanted to get some other opinions before I start the job.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Very strange. I'd like to see whatever code he is citing. Nothing in the NEC or ASME 17.1 that I know of that precludes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.