Elevator Machine Room vs. Machine Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
:confused: What is the difference between Machine Room and Machine Space? Is there an official definition in any Code book?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Elevator Machine Room vs. Machine Space

It sounds like you are talking about elevators (Article 620). What I think that 620 is saying that there are two types of ?stuff? that combine to make the elevator go up and down. One type is the ?machinery,? such as hydraulic pumps, actuators, motors, and cable reels. The other type is the ?controls,? such as logic cabinets, relay cabinets, and local push buttons. If they are in two different rooms, the NEC is calling the two rooms a ?machinery room? and a ?control space.? If they are in the same room, the NEC is calling that room a ?control room/machinery space.? Don?t make any issues over ?space? versus ?room.? I think the only issue is that certain items (e.g., overcurrent protection devices, receptacles, and disconnecting means) have to be in one room or the other (if there are two rooms), or in the one room (if there is only one room). The real requirement is that those items cannot be in any other place.

Does this answer your question?

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

In a mechanical penthouse, I have an air handler and elevator motors and controls. The elevator motor/controls are fenced off. My question is "Is the entire room considered an elevator machine room, or is just the space that's fenced off considered elevator machinery space?" I want to run conduit through the room, outside of the fenced area. What are your thoughts?

jerryb

I believe the difference has to do with whether the building code requires a fire rated enclosure for the elevator machinery. If it required the rating then you would need a dedicated machine room. But if fire rating is not required then a machinery space would be dedicated and could be fenced off as you described.

The elevator code is very clear stating that you can not run piping thru a machine space unless it is for the elevator operation. If the AHJ allowed the AHU in ths penthouse, then I would assume that you can run a conduit outside the fenced. As always, you should check with AHJ.

For more details you refer to Safety Code for Elevators & Escalators. I believe the latest version is 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.