Elevator Controls and Signals on Emergency for High Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I believe that Elevator Controls and Signals for an elevator in a high rise needed to be on the Emergency branch; unlike the elevator itself which should be on Legally Required. But I'm having a hard time finding where the requirement is. If anyone knows off the top of their head...

Thanks,

Mike

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I believe that Elevator Controls and Signals for an elevator in a high rise needed to be on the Emergency branch; unlike the elevator itself which should be on Legally Required. But I'm having a hard time finding where the requirement is. If anyone knows off the top of their head...

Thanks,

Mike
620.91 Emergency and Standby Power Systems. An elevator(s) shall be permitted to be powered by an emergency or standby power system.

Informational Note:  See ASME A17.1-2010/CSA B44-10, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, 2.27.2, for additional information.

Looks like it permits it but not requires. IN refers to another standard though. There may also be requirements in life safety code.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

DrSparks

Occupation
The reason is elevator contractors are a completely separate trade and they have their own code. The NEC is only concerned with the electrical safety.

mshields

And I am aware that this is strictly speaking an NEC forum. BUT....

Chapter 4 of the IBC makes it clear that the elevator itself in a high rise should be legally required standby. Also clear is that the cab lights need to be on Emergency (article 700). I thought there was a similar requirement for controls and signaling systems for an elevator in a high rise that required those, like the cab lights, to be on Emergency j(Article 700.

DrSparks

Occupation
And I am aware that this is strictly speaking an NEC forum. BUT....

Chapter 4 of the IBC makes it clear that the elevator itself in a high rise should be legally required standby. Also clear is that the cab lights need to be on Emergency (article 700). I thought there was a similar requirement for controls and signaling systems for an elevator in a high rise that required those, like the cab lights, to be on Emergency j(Article 700.
I believe you're correct. The fire department must be able to use the fire controls and that would presumably need to be on the emergency branch, which is designed to survive the longest in a fire.

Occupation
Consulting
On a related subject, I need to find a 1999 UBC Code reference as to when an elevator would be required to be on emergency power. Does anyone happen to know what UBC section would apply back in 1999? Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The EC normally hits the elevator with 2 circuits - one main circuit for the elevator itself and one smaller circuit for the car lights and vent fan.

So I'm not sure how you would be able to divide the main elevator circuit in order to supply it from two different ATS's.

It needs to be landed on one disconnect, and there is probably only one termination location for it in the elevator controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.