Elevator Call Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings all I am looking to get some info on an elevator "call stop" relay.
We just updated a key card system for a large building and the owners would like to disable the call button in the lobby unless you swipe a valid card.
I know there needs to be some type of firefighter override as well but am not up on elevator codes.
The access control system is a pretty basic 12C DC based system, I imagine the elevator controls are 120V AC but haven't made the trip back to gather more info.
Anyone done one of these? Is there a product for this or are these just ice cube relays?

Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Any work on elevators or their controls needs to be done by the licensed elevator company. So about all you would be allowed to do is drop some LV wiring into the elevator room for them. Probably from a set of SPDT contacts in the key card system that will operate as desired when the card is swiped.

-Hal

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Good point I tried to get out of it that way already :cool:
The 'licensed elevator company' is not local and there are probably less than 100 elevators in Lane County Oregon. They are willing to do the installation work on the elevator side however they lean on us to design and plan it out. They did not seem interested in the work.
I was hoping somebody would be like oh yeah we use xyz relays for that.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was hoping somebody would be like oh yeah we use xyz relays for that.

No, because we don't do elevators, we're not allowed to and have no idea how the controls work. You can design and plan out your end at the card reader but it's their responsibility to design and do whatever they need to do in the elevator control panel. Give them a contact closure and tell them to take it from there.

From time to time I have to provide a copper phone line for elevator emergency phones. As far as I go is to provide a cat5 into the elevator machine room and leave it coiled up by the control cabinet for them to connect.

Further, they have insurance in case of an elevator malfunction. I'm pretty sure ours doesn't cover that. And the old adage of "you were the last one touch it, you own it" always applies. You don't want that responsibility.

-Hal

Last edited:

Tony S

No, because we don't do elevators, we're not allowed to and have no idea how the controls work. You can design and plan out your end at the card reader but it's their responsibility to design and do whatever they need to do in the elevator control panel. Give them a contact closure and tell them to take it from there.

From time to time I have to provide a copper phone line for elevator emergency phones. As far as I go is to provide a cat5 into the elevator machine room and leave it coiled up by the control cabinet for them to connect.

Further, they have insurance in case of an elevator malfunction. I'm pretty sure ours doesn't cover that. And the old adage of "you were the last one touch it, you own it" always applies. You don't want that responsibility.

-Hal

Same this side of the pond.

I had an almighty argument with one of our managers over what was a minor alteration to a lift control system. He tried to issue me with a written warning for refusing to do the job. It got to our legal department where he got his backside well and truly kicked.

As you said, “you touched it last”…………….

When back, when I was doing security systems, we'd just provide a dry contact to the elevator company that closed when the card reader "unlocked" the door; they wired it into the lobby floor-call button.

Even for individual floor control, all we gave them was dry contacts on a terminal block.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thanks all for the replies. I'll pan on just providing a dry contact to the elevator company.

Status
Not open for further replies.