Electrolysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigers

On a residential 200 Amp service, owner is complaining of green hair caused from new water softner equipment recently installed. Where do I look for the problem?

bphgravity

Re: Electrolysis

HA, THATS FUNNY!!!!

Here are some ideas that may help:

1. Check to see if they are using copper based algicides.

2. Check to see if the PH is so low that it is deteriating the copper piping.

3. Check to see if there is excessive chlorine use.

4. Tell them to get a plumber to change the piping to PVC.

5. Tell them they may want to buy some hair coloring products!

Good Luck! :D

pierre

Hello Bryan

I got a good laugh from that too.
About 2 months ago, a contractor called me and said one of his customers called and said they had 'blue' water after a service changeout. The Utility company came out and said it was not their problem. The Water company came out and told the customer that the grounding conductor to the cold water pipe was causing this and proceded to disconnect the GC. The contractor sent me pictures of this. Now the customer wants to SUE! Figures!
The contractor cannot believe the Water company did this.
Have you come across this yourself? Do you think I should post this question?

Pierre

brian john

Have run across this several times. There is a web site called AN APPLE A DAY that tells it readers the GEC is dangerous and should ALWAYS be removed. I sent them a nasty letter and told them this type of disinformation could get them sued.

Some utility in Florida and The WSSC (in Wash DC) is doing a study of this problem and the pitting of copper.

I was never able to prove or disprove the issue was electrical one site had a 40 amps of ground current and the other site was clean. Both had the same level of blue water and it wasn't the toilet bowl cleaner. The water tested fine by an independent testing lab. We did correct the 40 amp current issue.

pierre

Hello Brian

GREEN HAIR - BLUE WATER

I am no expert on this subject, but I will say I still get a good laugh when I read this. Aside from the laugh I wonder if the GEC could cause this type of problem, but until such time as an answer is forthcoming, shouldn't they leave the
GEC alone.
Sometimes it is very hard to believe the 'consumer' really has a clue!

Pierre

brian john

pierre:

First on the GEC I agree 100%, but on the web and heck in person anyone can say anything they want. As for green hair, blue water and pitting of water piping,at this time a number of utilities are studying the problem, so this as with other issues (EMF) till the studies are done these are areas of discussion. Then when the studies are done differet experts will question all the studies.

pierre

Brian

Talk about EMF, yesterday in the Long Island area of NY, the results of a study correlating EMF to breast cancer was released. In Long Island apparently there is a high percentage of women with breast cancer. The conclusive evidence pointed to the fact that EMF was not the cause.

Pierre

brian john

If any of the hypotheses regarding EMF are anywhere near true, then I’m a goner and a lot of others on this site are as good as dead……See you in H______________?

bphgravity

Here is an interesting Email sent by Mike Holt reagarding EMF and exposure levels:

Note that "Milligrams" should actually read "Milligauss".

EMF ? Lets Get Real!

Mike, I work for the local Power Company, this is always a hot topic. A few years ago, I did my own study to measure EMF at various locations. The results are below:

Milligrams Location
0.6 Bedroom fan, on, 2' away
1.32 5' from TV, on, 2' above floor
1.64 Curling iron, on
1.88 Electric blanket after warmed up
2.6 In the cab of my truck, in front of office
2.95 5' from pad mount transformer @ Wendy's
3.12 Directly under 69,000V line
4.04 Directly under 7,200V line
5.5 Cord type electric drill, on
6.12 Electric blanket, first turned on
6.28 On computer keyboard at home
6.88 5' from TV, on, on floor
8 on Computer keyboard at work
8.4 On my desk at work
8.76 15' from transformer
9.2 25' from 161,000V line
11.6 Directly under 161,000V line
12.8 In front of micro-wave oven, off
15.2 Directly under 12,470V line
19.2 Directly under 161,000V line
19.6 Desk fan, off
21.2 Portable electric drill, on
22 Desk fan, on
22.5 25' from 12,470 & 69,000V line
26.8 1' from hair dryer, on
28.8 On top of TV, on
31.3 Directly under 12,470V line
32.8 1' from fluorescent light, on
39.2 25' from 345,000V line
44.4 On range top, off
53.6 Portable electric razor, on
74 Directly under 345,000V line @ 255th St.
77. Directly under (about 15') 161,000V bus bar inside sub
104 Directly under 12,470 & 69,000V line
128 In front of micro-wave oven, on
180 On range top, on
648 Next to hair dryer, on
896 Bedroom fan, on, next to motor

Unless you live within 50' of the conductors of a high-voltage transmission line, EMF is a bigger concern from everyday convenience appliances in your home! I just wanted you to have the facts.

Kevin E. Duke

Licensed Journeyman electrician and member of the local City Electrical Board, etc.

Mike Holt's Comment: Thanks Kevin

[ June 30, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

brian john

Having made my statement about EMF, I should add that when I built my new house (12 years ago) I made it as EMF safe as possible, Utilized armored cable (minimal help) ran all branch circuit wiring as low as possible (not at head level from the bed) all homeruns are run overhead down the halls ect............While I have my beliefs on EMF effects I do have four children that were babies when I built the house and why gamble?

A friend of mine that specializes in EMF mitigation (mostly over feeders and transformer vaults located in ofice buildings), told me he was contacted by a woman that had jut built a 1.5 millin dollar house and wanted it made EMF safe per the "Current of Death" book. Carpenters tore the house apart, electricians rwired and the EMF dude built shields arounf the branch circuit wiring home runs and feeders. More money than common sense I do believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.