Electrical Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaloGarcia

Occupation
Electrician
Need to confirm distance from a service to an outdoor propane tank, I’m currently seeing table 513.3 in the 2020 nec, and getting 10’ from edge of service. If so will the distance change depending service voltage and ampacity?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
To be honest, you don't seem to be applying an appropriate Table and I have no idea what the appropriate one would be; i.e., there is no Table 513.3. I can tell you the service voltage and ampacity would not affect the hazardous location envelope; that is determined by the fuel source.

Seusacainc

New User
Occupation
General contractor and commercial electrical
These required separations are taken from the NFPA National Fuel Gas Code Section 5.7.2.3 and NFPA Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code Table 3.2.2.2 (d): (1) Gas meters shall be located at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) from sources of ignition. (2) LP-Gas or propane cylinders that are exchanged (not filled on site), 5 ft. separation from external sources of ignition; PPL EU requires 6 ft. (3) For larger cylinders filled on site, 10 ft. separation from a source of ignition.
This is for commercial work we do.

Residential is kind of a mix between what the county requires and the propane company.
that being said our county inspector has never checked the distance once when weve installed generators and had new tanks put in.
But the propane company will send one of there guys out and inspect the location of where the tanks going to be installed and they require 15ft from an ignition source and 25 feet from any type of motor electrical or fuel powered.

kwired

Electron manager
Area around a tank may not be hazardous location at all. Hazardous locations are typically determined by places where gas may escape during normal operations, such as around vents/pressure relief valves or portions used for filling or dispensing operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.