Electrical Panel Schedule Calculation Question

pcn2024

Occupation
Business Owner
Hi, I am trying to learn how to calculated the panel schedule. Say I am setting up an equipment which has this spec.

Power
•Volts: 220 (range of 208-240)
•Watts: 9900 (Does this Watts = VOLT AMPS?)
•Amp draw: 48
•Receptacle: Nema 6-50

Would I have to design it in the panel with a 50amp BKR with 3300 watts in each phase (phase A, phase B, and Phase C) to distribute the power evenly?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Before I allow anyone to respond, I need to know the nature of this project and your role. We are not allowed to assist a person who is not an electrician to perform their own electrical installation work.

pcn2024

Occupation
Business Owner
Thank you Charles. I am the business owner that working on opening my cafe. I am learning how to read architecture plan and how to plan for my own shop. With my cafe been a very small project for many companies, I've been reject by many architect firm. So I did the concept drawing myself, and study to understand terms/functions that relate to my shop. I am not going to perform any electric installation work or any construction myself. All construction will be performing by license GC and license electrical professions in state of Utah.
I am simply trying to understand each equipments I choose and what total power I will be needing in the shop, then submit my project to the city for permit, so I can get my project going.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK, thanks for the explanation.

The answer to your first question is "maybe, but likely yes." At issue is the nature of the equipment. First of all, if it is primarily heating, with no motors, then watts will equal volt-amps (or VA). If it has motors, then VA is higher than watts. More info would be needed here.

The answer to your second question (about the 50 amp breaker) also depends on the equipment. The specs may call out 48 amps, but will it operate at that level "continously," a term that to the NEC means for more than 3 hours at full load? If so, you need to calculate it at 125% of that 48 amps (or 60 amps). But I suspect it behaves like a warming table or dishwasher, in that it cycles on and off or cycles at lower load than higher load, so that it is not at full load for 3 or more hours at a time. In that case, you would not add that extra 25% to the 48 amps.

Your third answer is that whenever you get the value of total load, you do assign it equally to all three phases (3300 VA each, in your question).

One last point: if the specs allow for any voltage from 208 to 240, at what voltage will the equipment draw 48 amps? My guess is that 48 amps applies at 240 volts. In that case, the current draw if it is supplied at 208 volts will be lower, as will its power draw. For example, a warming table would get as warm, if you run it at the lower end of its allowable voltage range.

Now I have a question. What is your voltage source? Is it single phase 220 volts? Is so, you don't assign 3300 VA to each of three phases, as you don't have three. You would assign 4950 VA to each of two phases.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Hi, I am trying to learn how to calculated the panel schedule. Say I am setting up an equipment which has this spec.

Power
•Volts: 220 (range of 208-240)
•Watts: 9900 (Does this Watts = VOLT AMPS?)
•Amp draw: 48
•Receptacle: Nema 6-50

Would I have to design it in the panel with a 50amp BKR with 3300 watts in each phase (phase A, phase B, and Phase C) to distribute the power evenly?
NEMA 6-50 is a single phase receptacle (2 hots, 1 ground), so you'd divide the 9900 VA between the 2 connected hot legs.

Cheers, Wayne

pcn2024

Occupation
Business Owner
OK, thanks for the explanation.

The answer to your first question is "maybe, but likely yes." At issue is the nature of the equipment. First of all, if it is primarily heating, with no motors, then watts will equal volt-amps (or VA). If it has motors, then VA is higher than watts. More info would be needed here.

The answer to your second question (about the 50 amp breaker) also depends on the equipment. The specs may call out 48 amps, but will it operate at that level "continously," a term that to the NEC means for more than 3 hours at full load? If so, you need to calculate it at 125% of that 48 amps (or 60 amps). But I suspect it behaves like a warming table or dishwasher, in that it cycles on and off or cycles at lower load than higher load, so that it is not at full load for 3 or more hours at a time. In that case, you would not add that extra 25% to the 48 amps.

Your third answer is that whenever you get the value of total load, you do assign it equally to all three phases (3300 VA each, in your question).

One last point: if the specs allow for any voltage from 208 to 240, at what voltage will the equipment draw 48 amps? My guess is that 48 amps applies at 240 volts. In that case, the current draw if it is supplied at 208 volts will be lower, as will its power draw. For example, a warming table would get as warm, if you run it at the lower end of its allowable voltage range.

Now I have a question. What is your voltage source? Is it single phase 220 volts? Is so, you don't assign 3300 VA to each of three phases, as you don't have three. You would assign 4950 VA to each of two phases.
Thank you Charles for much details explanation.

My power source is currently at 3 phase, I had my electrician came over and verified.

I've attached the spec of this equipment. The espresso is going to be running from 7am to 2pm, it's going to have some peak hours, but I don't believe it will be continuously running for 3 hours. I'd prefer to plan for extra just in case.

I currently have the 200 amp panel and my electrician told me if I add another 200 amp panel that should've be plenty for my need in the cafe. Since I will have an oven and couple large equipments at the bakery, so I want to make sure I do my part and learn.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!

Attachments

• 1-Black Eagle 3gr Spec Sheet.pdf
    287.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 1-Black-Eagle-Manual.pdf
    532.7 KB · Views: 3

pcn2024

Occupation
Business Owner
NEMA 6-50 is a single phase receptacle (2 hots, 1 ground), so you'd divide the 9900 VA between the 2 connected hot legs.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. Would it be better to convert it to 3 phase, since I do have 3 phase connection?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If it is single phase it is doubtful you can cost effectively convert it to three phase. Even if you are on a three phase source you can probably just use two of the lines and wire it to the device.

I would be a little worried that this thing is probably not ul listed.

Last edited: