Electrical license

Status
Not open for further replies.

duty

Its been about 3 years since my last try at my journeyman and I want to take it again. I have taken 3 test since 1983 and failed by one to two points, discouraged never challaged it. But now I want to so I asked for a retake of my written only because I passed my practical. Do I need all the requirements that they are asking today with school hours, or am I grandfathered for my retake? Massachusetts

bphgravity

Re: Electrical license

Each state varies in its rules and requirements for testing and examination. Try contacting the local building department and ask them what additional, if any, you will now need to make another attempt. Many good electricians fail electrical exams notbecause of their electrical knowledge, but beacause of their lack of test taking skills. Exams are designed to be failed. Have you considered purcahsing or taking a "how to pass the electrical exam" type course? These courses are not suited for untrained and uneducated workers, but for someone like yourself, it may get you over the hump. Good luck! :)

spyder

I am from massachusetts too, as far as I understand since you already took the exam, you are still eligible under the old guidelines of experience and education hours. I would still call the electrical board or experior to verify.

jeff n

Duty - I think your best bet is to contact the board in Boston. Someone locally was in your same situation recently and he did not have to retake his practical exam (as he had passed it previously) and his schooling was grandfathered. I think they decide on a case by case basis though. If they say yes on grandfathering your exam have them send you a letter and include a copy it with your application to Experior. You might also take another class,if only to get yourself back in the loop and get some practice taking tests - Good luck

daverz

Duty...

Massachusetts only requires that you retake the portion that you did not pass. They do not require you to retake the portion that you did pass.

I do not know whether there is a time limit for a re-take (3 years is a long time)

Either way, you are going to have to contact the licensing board. They can answer all of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.