Electrical License?s Requirement in the Tri State Area (NJ, NY,PA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Holmes

I work for a company that sell electrical inverters for the photo voltaic market. The inverters range in size from 30KW 1MW we are not a manufacturer but we are all extensively factory trained.
My question is do our field service technicians need to hold electrical license?s in the Tri State area (NJ, NY,PA) if they work on these units? They are not installing them they are servicing them i.e., changing air filters, downloading code, changing printed circuit boards and changing out failed components (contactors, relay etc.).
Any help in this area would be really appreciated.

Bill

mgookin

I work for a company that sell electrical inverters for the photo voltaic market. The inverters range in size from 30KW 1MW we are not a manufacturer but we are all extensively factory trained.
My question is do our field service technicians need to hold electrical license?s in the Tri State area (NJ, NY,PA) if they work on these units? They are not installing them they are servicing them i.e., changing air filters, downloading code, changing printed circuit boards and changing out failed components (contactors, relay etc.).
Any help in this area would be really appreciated.

Bill

You can contact the licensing boards in each jurisdiction. It sure sounds like you should have some sort of license to do the contactors & relays.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Shouldn't it make a difference whether the contactors and relays are inside listed equipment versus part of field wiring?
The only interaction with NEC covered wiring would be opening the disconnect before working.
For cord connected equipment like a TV or a vacuum cleaner there should not be a need for an electrical license to replace components. What is different from an HVAC unit with a disconnect?
Local regulations might call it either way.
The company does have a business license.

Tapatalk!

mgookin

Shouldn't it make a difference whether the contactors and relays are inside listed equipment versus part of field wiring?
The only interaction with NEC covered wiring would be opening the disconnect before working.
For cord connected equipment like a TV or a vacuum cleaner there should not be a need for an electrical license to replace components. What is different from an HVAC unit with a disconnect?
Local regulations might call it either way.
The company does have a business license.

Tapatalk!

Very good perspective there Digger. Sounds like their company does sales & service of equipment. Just like the local appliance dealer when he comes to work on my fridge. As long as everything is internal, seems like he's fine. But again, I'm not the guy who's going to cite him. And a fridge is not the same as a 1MW power plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.