Electrical contractor license

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamalion88

Occupation
Electrician
How can a journeyman electrician get his contractors license if he has no one( master electrician) to sign his state application test. Need advice thx

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The term journeyman describes organized membership that includes a Local union hall or chapter business manager, who can sign off on work records you help provide.

jamalion88

Occupation
Electrician
The problem is no one wants to sign. I trying to make a living being an electrician and help others. I Even thought about going thru the whole 4 year apprenticeship program again. There's nowhere to really get help unless you have a hook up it seems.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
The title "journeyman" does not assume union membership. A journeyman is a tradesman who is fully train
In CA merit shops also have business managers. Association of Builders & Contractors (ABC) is one such chapter apprenticeship.

Perhaps employers won't sign off his work experience if they know this person was never employed in a qualified apprenticeship.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How can a journeyman electrician get his contractors license if he has no one( master electrician) to sign his state application test. Need advice thx
Here in VA, they are completely different things. A Journeyman is a professional qualification.

Only a legal business entity may become a contractor, and must employ a Master of the trade.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Move to NY. All you need is a truck with a ladder on top to be a contractor. Unless you want to do HVAC of alarm system then you need a state license for these trades.

jeff48356

Here in VA, they are completely different things. A Journeyman is a professional qualification.

Only a legal business entity may become a contractor, and must employ a Master of the trade.
Same here in Michigan. You must form a legal business entity (such as an LLC), and the owner must employ (or be) a Master electrician.

Move to NY. All you need is a truck with a ladder on top to be a contractor. Unless you want to do HVAC of alarm system then you need a state license for these trades.
I have never heard of a license being required in upstate New York for HVAC or alarm, unless there is a license or certification required to buy or use freon maybe. Could be a requirement by your city or county. I am in otsego county, where are you?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I have never heard of a license being required in upstate New York for HVAC or alarm, unless there is a license or certification required to buy or use freon maybe. Could be a requirement by your city or county. I am in otsego county, where are you?
Looked it up again at NYS DOS, HVAC seems only requires certification. I know IRR Northrup Supply wont even give pricing info without providing proof of (they said) a license. Maybe a City of Oneonta thing. Didn't check the illion store.
From NYS DOS web site regarding license for alarm systems:
"A Security or Fire Alarm Installer is a person who holds himself out directly or indirectly, as being able, or who offers or undertakes, by any means or method, to install, service or maintain a security or fire alarm system to detect intrusion, break-in, movement, sound or fire. It is the responsibility of licensees to understand the Business of Installing, Servicing or Maintaining Security or Fire Alarm Systems License Law License Law.
Term of licensure is two years."
The other license requirement I came across was for home inspection. Interesting a home inspector requires a license but not electrician.
I'm in the oneida, otsego, herkimer county area.

Looked it up again at NYS DOS, HVAC seems only requires certification. I know IRR Northrup Supply wont even give pricing info without providing proof of (they said) a license. Maybe a City of Oneonta thing. Didn't check the illion store.
From NYS DOS web site regarding license for alarm systems:
"A Security or Fire Alarm Installer is a person who holds himself out directly or indirectly, as being able, or who offers or undertakes, by any means or method, to install, service or maintain a security or fire alarm system to detect intrusion, break-in, movement, sound or fire. It is the responsibility of licensees to understand the Business of Installing, Servicing or Maintaining Security or Fire Alarm Systems License Law License Law.
Term of licensure is two years."
The other license requirement I came across was for home inspection. Interesting a home inspector requires a license but not electrician.
I'm in the oneida, otsego, herkimer county area.
Ok, you are correct on the security or fire alarm. I never knew that. So odd they have that but not for electrician. Didnt see anything for HVAC, only found this:

Do You Need a License in New York to Become an HVAC Technician?​

New York does not have any state licensing requirements for HVAC technicians.

EPA Licenses​

The EPA license is required by the federal government for technicians handling units that contain refrigerant chemicals. Technicians who have the EPA Section 608 license make an average of

$73,423 per year

NATE Certificates​

The NATE certificate is an optional New York HVAC license. The NATE organization certifies a technician’s HVAC experience. The job can include basic residential installs and repairs and commercial and industrial projects. NATE technicians make about $15,000 more per year than unlicensed technicians.

Local Licenses​

Some counties or cities may have requirements for licenses. For example, Buffalo requires all technicians to apply for an HVAC license, while New York City requires technicians to get a Home Improvement Contractor license. Pay ranges form $15 - $41 per hour.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
In MA you can be an electrical contractor with a Journeyman's license only and can obviously pull permits etc.. You can have 1 apprentice and that is it. Cannot hire any other workers licensed or not unless you get a masters.

Every State is different.

In Ct a journeyman cannot do any electrical work unless employed by a electrical contractor who has a Masters and journeyman cannot pull permits

GladMech

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer, Licensed Electrician
When I got my license, I found the application to be the most difficult part. I barely squeaked through. I had 20+ years in industrial controls, but NONE under "licensed supervision." All self employed in industrial settings. I got lucky. In Georgia, PE references are as acceptable as EC references. I was in a corporate engineering office of a major corporation for 6 months as a (non EE) electrical designer. I did some contract work for one of their plants off and on for several months afterward. That plant engineer was willing to sign off on at least 6 months, maybe a year of my experience. Another good friend of mine that I had worked for 20 years earlier and had done some work for me was willing to sign off on the other 2 years. He said, "I've known you for 20 years. I've seen the work you do. I KNOW you know what you are doing." It may not have been "direct supervision" but it was "direct knowledge of the work performed."

Status
Not open for further replies.