Electrical conduit on top of driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I live in a large development. Years ago a neighbor (I assume) came knocking with a petition to put speed bumps throughout the development. I declined to sign. He stormed off looking like he wanted to curse me out, but held his tongue. A few months later the bumps arrived. I hate them.

Are they the small kind or the big kind? In many cases the solution to the small kind is to simply drive faster so that your suspension absorbs the bump :)

At a museum near me they installed relatively deep cuts leading to drains. They are roughly as effective as the large speed humps for slowing people down, and they make the drains work better.

-Jon

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
I think the threaded area would be okay, I just don't think you could secure it well enough to stand up to the stresses of being ran over (it would move eventually). I've never done it and would only consider it in a residential driveway (if at all).

I'm still curious, what code section would prevent it? Anyone? (I've never been a code guru and don't have a searchable version).

I realize it doesn't snow often in the OP's area, but further north, that surface-mounted GRC would be a surprise for an unaware plow operator clearing a foot of snow. ;)

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are they the small kind or the big kind? In many cases the solution to the small kind is to simply drive faster so that your suspension absorbs the bump :)

They are the kind that make your car jump when you hit them at an excessive rate of speed. I know from personal experience.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I realize it doesn't snow often in the OP's area, but further north, that surface-mounted GRC would be a surprise for an unaware plow operator clearing a foot of snow. ;)
When I lived in the great snowy North, the county snow plow operators would knock over my mailbox several times per season. I often thought about preparing a surprise for them in the form of a heavy concrete filled steel post buried deep enough to matter. Luckily I wised up and just moved south.

Mr. Kent

Occupation
building maintenance
I spoke to an officer in the local electricians union and he has not experienced a situation where the he saw a speed bump installed over an electrical conduit crossing a driveway he strongly suggested cutting the concrete and digging a 18 inch trench. According to the remarks of a few of these posts it seems like that that would be the best route to take. I'm not sure how the NEC would frame it in their codes, all of these posts were quite interesting. Thank you.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
When I lived in the great snowy North, the county snow plow operators would knock over my mailbox several times per season. I often thought about preparing a surprise for them in the form of a heavy concrete filled steel post buried deep enough to matter. Luckily I wised up and just moved south.

I checked with the DPW on a 4" rig. Mailbox design, they said I would be sued for it due to putting the plow driver in harms way!

Status
Not open for further replies.