Electrical cable that rated for under water resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
Can anyone suggest a special cable suitable for underwater properties. I want to run a cable from a substation to supply voltage of 480 VAC to a ship dock offshore. The cable will have to be run underwater.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Will this be in conduit?

One option is submersible pump cable, but its not jacketed. I would also suggest XHHW-2, its a very tough insulation and much better than any THHN/W product which is PVC insulation. If no conduit then it would have to be direct burial rated.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Will this be in conduit?

One option is submersible pump cable, but its not jacketed. I would also suggest XHHW-2, its a very tough insulation and much better than any THHN/W product which is PVC insulation. If no conduit then it would have to be direct burial rated.

[No it will not be running in PVC it will be running on the floor of the sea. There must have some special cables for this purpose ?? ]

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We used to simply call this stuff 'submarine cable'. It was commonly used for river crossings. I recall it was easier to repair a snagged cable rather than snagged conduit.

oldsparky52

Last edited:

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
I worked on a marina that had a previously installed set of type W cables that were installed on the ground going into the water and were submerged for about 15 - 20 feet all the time. I know it was inspected and passed.

Maybe Carol will help you out (they say to call them) :) . https://cdn.generalcable.com/assets/documents/North America Documents/Information-Center/White-Papers/Cord/MarinaDockPowerWireWizardSellSheet4_09.pdf
I have tried to send an email to Carol at 'info@generalcable.com' and no reply ??? Can you assist

anthonysolino

I ran in to this here in Florida these types of wire HALAR and KYNAR can be ordered as a cable assembly with what ever size you may need in them, I think all salt water environments should be wired with this stuff I really think the code making panel over article 500 needs to do something about not allowing building wire in marine applications any more. THHN is not corrosion resistant. salt kills connectors and the wire its self. ive been to so many docks down here with the issues,

Status
Not open for further replies.