Electric Water Heater with two feeds and relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

Does anyone have insight into what this relay is doing in this water heater set up?

Its an Omron G7L-1A-TUB-CB

Water heater has 2 separate 240 volt 30 amp feeds. Thermostats and elements are not connected except one of leg of each feeds through the relay.

Lower element was originally controlled by a timer (by utility co I'm guessing)

Having trouble attaching pics but will as soon as make files smaller

T74

Water heater stopped working after a panel change. After opening water heater I realized legs were "crisscrossed" meaning upper element had a leg of each of the feeds connected to it and lower element had the other 2 legs.

I'm guessing the panel was wired this way too but we missed it and wired it "normal". Meaning black/white black/ white

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone have insight into what this relay is doing in this water heater set up?

Its an Omron G7L-1A-TUB-CB

Water heater has 2 separate 240 volt 30 amp feeds. Thermostats and elements are not connected except one of leg of each feeds through the relay.

Lower element was originally controlled by a timer (by utility co I'm guessing)

Having trouble attaching pics but will as soon as make files smaller
Guessing utility control operated this relay which looks to control the lower element. As is the relay no longer needed, it is enabled by the upper thermostat which at same time disables the upper element.

Might been at one time independent control of each element and possibly could both run at same time but since timer was removed and wired like it is now the second circuit is not necessary as only one element will run at a time as it is wired now.

The presence of the second high limit also suggests they could run independently at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.