Electric Range Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwanye

I'm not an electrician nor do I claim to be. I work at a electrical sales store. I've had multiple questions about moving an electrical range in a kitchen and how to add wire to an existing range service. So far I've told everybody to consult the electrical inspector on how to handle the problem. But I've never found out what the solution is. I assume that you can add wire to the existing wire as long as your connection are within a properly sized box. I've also assumed that you must use some sort of butt connector to make the connection between the wires. If anybody has additional details I would appreciate it.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Electric Range Wiring

As each installation is unique, I would advise anyone who asks to consult a qualified electrician to make any necessary extensions to existing circuit.

peter d

I was in the same situation as you for 7 months.

I worked at a supply counter and was constantly bombarded with "How do I hook up/install/repair/ etc?" type of questions.

My standard reply: "Company policy forbids me from giving advice. If you do something wrong, we could held liable. Please consult an electrician."

Often times people would get upset or angry but I didn't care. During the last hurricane scare, people would come in with a cord with two male ends on it ("What kind of outlet do I need to connect this to?") :roll: , or wanted to get the parts to backfeed into their dryer outlet. :eek:

My advice to you would be the same that I gave to everyone else: Ask an electrician.

j7david

BWAYNE I've been there, and it's not the easiest place to be. I have held a masters license for over 20 years now, but was in your shoes for a number of years before that and a number of years after being licensed as well. See this recent thread "How did you get started?" my blurb is in there. It is just as difficult learning to be a diplomat as it is to learn the electrical trade. However this is a skill that is useful in many more places than the supply house. Half of the reason for the existence of a supply house is to provide knowledge about the products, applications, and many other bits of information. To be able to do this in a customer friendly way is not only necessary but paramount. Although it has been many years now since I first found myself in the position of being the "the man with the answers", my understanding of the code and it's underling reasoning is still growing and evolving. It is not a easy task to decide what information is proper and relevant to give out and what is improper.
First I think it is commendable the way you opened your post by saying "I am not an electrician" To really understand stand that is so very important. That is not to say you are dumb, uninformed or inferior to anyone. Take the time in the evening to read through the many threads on this form it is humbling to all but the most arrogant to see the wisdom that others have, and amusing at other times to see the shortsightedness of others. Then most importantly to realize that our own thoughts are often amusing to others as they see what we thought to be was so... profound, to be lacking in insight.
However I ramble, to answer your question:
Any time someone is trying to add on to an existing circuit (or anything else) the first step is to verify that the original installation is properly done. There have been too many times this has not been the case. Without seeing the application even the best and most seasoned electrician is "shooting in the dark". The best of work done to a shoddy base is still a hazard. To top everything else off the customer "never?" tells the application like it really is. Now the real question? Do you want to put your self in a situation that has very little upside to it other than a cheep way to feeling a little superior? The better way to feel good about yourself in the this quandary is to learn diplomacy. Make that customer feel that you care immensely about him and do sincerely wish to help him, but can not give him that kind of information. Then next electrician that comes in ask him about the situation, stressing that this is not so you can dispense to the public your insights. You will probably find that this will stroke his ego as well and in turn will gladly share his knowledge with you. Just make sure he knows that this knowledge is for your self only. And... remember that a trust betrayed is as hard to regain as virginity.

B Wayne, I agree with the others in that one must be careful when giving advice to persons that only know enough about electricty to be dangerous. Way too often, inexperienced or improperly informed people that perform electrical work will be under the mistaken impression that along as current flows from one point to another, they have accomplished the task. We have all seen things like speaker wire run under linoleum for a microwave oven outlet. What is frequently overlooked by do it yourselfers are the technical fine-points of the trade that make the job not only function, but safe for persons and property. Answering your question would involve for example:

Possible Copper to aluminum connections
Properly sizing the wire
Properly terminating the wiring
Properly sizing a suitable junction box
Properly grounding that junction box
Protection of the cables from abrasion
Minimum bending radius of cables
Properly locating the junction box as well as the receptacle.

That having been said, if you still have not had your question answered, continue this topic and I will help if I can.

Rich W. Master Electrician

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

BRAVO to both of you...All to many electricians are afraid if I may say to share their knowledge.But here we can all share.30 years later and i am still learning........Allen

charlie

Several years ago, I "helped" one of our customers who was putting in a new service. All he wanted to know was what size wire to use for a 100 ampere service. OK, no big deal. I let him know that he could use #4 THW Cu. for this installation.

This guy went to Central Hardware and got some
#4, it was #4 TW Al. for his commercial service in his garage! When he was red tagged, he complained that the guy at the light company told him that he could do that. We paid to have an EC replace his SE conductors and straighten up his panelboard.

All calls requesting information are now answered with, "Sorry, you will have to check with your EC or the AHJ. We are prohibited from discussing the NEC with non-electrical persons." :D

B

bthielen

I think that the way this forum is handled is a good example to follow. I don't believe the purpose of this forum is to provide advise in order to avoid digging up the correct answers ourselves. On the contrary, I have come to believe the purpose of this forum is to help each other locate and interpret the vast maze of the codes. In the end, it is still the responsibility of the individual doing the work to follow the code and not the advise, opinion, or interpretation of someone other than the AHJ.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.