EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

I have seen several 200 amp panels that are wired accordingly:
# 6 bare copper ran from ground rod to meter can and from meter can to 200 amp panel in house
#6 bare copper ran from panel in house to first five feet of water pipe in house
My question is should the wire ran from panel to water pipe be #4 instead of #6
250-52 A1 states the 5 ft rule for being used as aEGC
250 53D2 states need for supplemental electrode
250-53E states sole connection to ground rod need not be bigger than #6
250-66 says go to t250-66 for size of EGC except as permitted in 250-66A thru 250-66C
I can see how the Egc going from ground rod to panel is #6 but I cant get out of this how the EGC going from panel to water pipe is also a #6. Shouldn?t be a #4. Any help on this one is greatly appreciated

sjspad

Occupation
Electrician
Re: EGC

Hi
Look in 250-66 do you have a nec handbook? ex 250-29.If you don`t it `s a great investment.

It appears the grounding set up is In violation of 310-4.parallel conductors.the GEC from the meter can to the panel is the problem as i see it. IF the local poco wants the GEC brought into the meter can than best way to do this is to run a full sized GEC (sized to the service entrance conds 250-66)from the water main out to the ground rods then up into the meter can.this should be all one piece.The GEC from the meter can to the panel is not needed, and provides a parallel path between the GEC and the neutral.

Have i confussed the issue?

steve

four

Steve:
No you havent confused matters at all. in fact the more i read the more i verify that i think i am right on what i am saying. I agree with the parallel paths, but thats what i see

donnie

ART. 250.104 A (1), WATER PIPING.
TABLE 250.66 , A #4 FOR 2/0 OR 3/0 COPPER
CONDUCTORS , WHICH IS A COMMON USE FOR A
200A PANEL.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If you land the GEC from the rod at the meter, there is no reason that you can't land the water pipe GEC at the panel. Multiple grounding electrode conductors are permitted and are can be connected to the grounded conductor at any point from the load end of the service drop to the grounded conductor bus in the service disconneting means.
Don

sjspad

Occupation
Electrician

Don

what if you dont have a water main coming
into the house or are on a well ? If you wanted another grounding electrode connection besides from the rod to the meter can could you drive 2 more rods near the main disco and land another GEC conn at the main as well? note the meter can is located say 20 ft or so from the main breaker.The service entrance conds are installed under concrete into a mechanical room were the main disco is located.do youthink this would be like simulating somewhat the GEC connection onto an incoming water line. :)

steve

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Steve,
Each grounding electrode is permitted to have its own grounding electrode conductor. See 250.64(F). The grounding electrode conductor connection to the grounded conductor can be made at any point from the load end of the service drop or lateral to and including in the service disconnect enclosure. See 250.24(A)(1).
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Steve is the water line a grounding electrode, IE does it have ten feet in contact with the earth? If not you are making a bonding connection per 250.104 and the connection can be anywhere. However it is still sized per 250.66. If you run the grounding electrode conductor to the meter and then to the service, if there are metallic raceways with the GEC they must be bonded at each end.

sjspad

Occupation
Electrician

Hi Tom

No the water pie is NOT agrounding electrode.The water system is plastic coming into the house.iplan on bonding the water pipes hot& cold at the main disco.My Q is that i have established a grounding electrode with the use of 2 ground rods.The GEC is connected to the rods then up into the meter socket.The POCO requires it in the socket.My main disconnect is located 20 ft away in a mechanical room.the service conds are in pvc conduit under the concrete floor.so at this point the neutral and ground are brought together at the meter,but this is ahead of the main disco.would it be crazy to establish another groundung electrode and land another GEC at the main disco?If there was a water main coming into the building i would use that.But that is NOT the case.How about 2 other ground rods ouside the mechanical room? Any thoughts ?I have brought this up before but i never sem to get an answer to the direct question .anyway thanks.ALL sugesstions are gladly accepted. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Steve,
I my opinion, there is no electrical advantage in adding additional ground rods at the main disconnect.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.