EGC for each circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Can someone explain, if so why to run an EGC for each circuit. This is a room with any special equipment in Lake linder airport in lakeland, There is 120/208v, 3 ph, 4 wire panelboard which every circuit has his own EGC, let's say one conduit with 2 circuits and 2 egc, another conduit with 3 circuits and 3 egc inside, and so on. they're not isolated ground wire. I've never seen that and when I asked about, the electrician said spec mandatory.
Is there some specific rule or standard beyond the nec that establish regulations for this type of installation?

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
yes, I think even if were some engineer's spec or local jurisdiction is wasting money. The EGC work the same with one circuit as with many other circuits in the conduit, sizing for the big one. I don't understand the technical reason here, maybe some expert in the forum may clarify this

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure if you'll find a technical reason other than making someone feel warm and fuzzy. If you're using a metal raceway you already have a redundant EGC,

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
There is not isolated ground receptacle in the room, and if were the case only they need one EGC and one isolated grounding wire in the conduit, all raceway are EMT, each with 1, 2, 3 egc inside depends the number of the circuits

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is not isolated ground receptacle in the room, and if were the case only they need one EGC and one isolated grounding wire in the conduit, all raceway are EMT, each with 1, 2, 3 egc inside depends the number of the circuits
Just my 2 cents but with a properly sized single EGC for all of the circuits and the metal raceway as a second EGC anything beyond that (like a separate EGC for each circuit) is just throwing money away.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can someone explain, if so why to run an EGC for each circuit. This is a room with any special equipment in Lake linder airport in lakeland, There is 120/208v, 3 ph, 4 wire panelboard which every circuit has his own EGC, let's say one conduit with 2 circuits and 2 egc, another conduit with 3 circuits and 3 egc inside, and so on. they're not isolated ground wire. I've never seen that and when I asked about, the electrician said spec mandatory.
Is there some specific rule or standard beyond the nec that establish regulations for this type of installation?
probably someone just put it in the spec. they might not even have meant it to be that way, but wanted a wire type EGC as opposed to using the conduit as the EGC, but worded it such that the EC had to run an EGC for each circuit.

Probably no way to know for sure exactly why it was done. Might even have been a misread of the spec by the people that did the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.