EGC color

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What code section says that a conductor with a green finish can be used only for equipment grounding conductors?
Don

Nick

Re: EGC color

250.119 says the EGC shall be green. It does not say that green is exclusive to the EGC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I have a heads up on Don's question. Read it closely, 250.19 says the EGC will be bare or marked green, but the article doesn't say green can't be used for something other than the EGC.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Nick, you and I have a habbit of posting at nearly the same time lately. ;)

Roger

Ed MacLaren

I hope, for the sake of North American "code harmonization", that the NEC will adopt green as the color for all insulated grounding and equipment bonding conductors.

The Canadian Electrical Code has already done so.

4-036 Color of Conductors
(1) Insulated grounding or bonding conductors shall:
(a) Have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes; or
(b) If larger than No.2 AWG, be permitted to be suitably labeled or marked in a permanent manner with a green color or green with one or more yellow stripes at each end and at each point where the conductor is accessible.
(2) Conductors colored or marked in accordance with Subrule (1) shall only be used as grounding or bonding conductors.

Note: In the CEC, bonding = equipment grounding.

Ed

[ March 09, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

iwire

Staff member

I agree with Roger, 250.119 never says anything about reserving green for EGCs, it just tells you EGCs shall be green or bare.

2002 NEC

200.6(A) and 200.7(A) have nothing to do with EGCs which is what Don is asking about, they are about Grounded conductors

210.4(D) Is for the ungrounded conductors of a multiwire branch circuit and talks about if more then one nominal voltage system you will put up a sign at each panel board showing the colors in use. Nothing in that says you could not use green for a ungrounded conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Mike, I don't see where 200.6, 200.7, or 210.4 come in to play here.

Bob, takes the thread one step farther than what I was actually refering to. I was actually talking about GEC's.

But if you used the conduit for the EGC in a particular installation, there is nothing prohibiting green from being used as an ungrounded conductor as far as the NEC.

Of course if I were an ispector, I would use 110.3, but that is not the coversation here, so let's leave that out.

Roger

[ March 09, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

iwire

Staff member

310.12(C) Ungrounded conductors shall be "clearly distinguishable from grounding conductors"

I could have a bare ground and a green ungrounded conductor and still meet this requirement.

Understand I have not or will not do this but as far as NEC I think I can

[ March 09, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jx,
Not homework, just trying to clear up a very common misconception of what the code actually says, as opposed to what many think it says. This is also leading up to another question/comment about the use of wire with green insulation. I'll make that post tomorrow evening after everyone has had a chance to comment on the original question.
Don

bphgravity

I have installed multi-conductor tray cable where the green or green with a stripe conductor was not identified or distinguished from the other conductors. I think it is the intent of the code that all EGC's be green or bare as to effectively restrict it's use for something else, even though it doesn't say it specifically as it does with the grounded conductor.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

bph, there's that word "intent" again. :D The problem is, at one time,I think we could all live and work by this.

That is of a simpler time I wish were still prevalent. (common sence)

With that said, what color should the GEC be?

Roger

[ March 09, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

iwire

Staff member

Roger, Luckily as far as I have seen common sense has prevailed this time, I can not think of a time that I have found a green used as a Hot.

This to me would be very dangerous as most of us see a green wire as harmless, I think they should close any doubt on this in the code book, a simple line somewhere that says "Green shall be used only for grounding conductors"

Bob

By the way you have lot of guts with a post I saw elsewhere. :D :D

[ March 09, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Don, maybe this is out of the context of your question, but as far as I am concerned green does not always mean ground. Far as that goes white and gray does not necessarily mean neutral either. Communication, control, and signal cables use these colors to indicate which circuit number, or type they are. For example take a look at telephone drop wire used in your home. You will see red/green/black/yellow.

[ March 09, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.