Eaton AFCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeye

Occupation
engineer
I had to replace one Eaton BR AFCI recently. Looks like it's a new part. This is AFCI only breaker, and it has a clear test button (old one has a white test button). Under the clear test button is a LED that can blink for some code. The part number is BRN115AF. It comes with an instruction leaflet, dated Nov 2018, in the Step 6 of installation, it says:

"Upon breaker power-up, the LED will display 1,2, or 3 quick blinks. The quick blinks will occur within half a second of startup.

- 1 quick blink represents that electronic overload detection is turned OFF; This is uncommon
- 2 quick blinks represent a handle rating of 15A

......"

I do have the 15A unit, but I only saw one blink. Anyone have any idea why I am having a "uncommon" breaker? Have you seen it before? Wonder if I have a bad unit... it trips when I press the test button. Thanks.

This is the breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
I had to replace one Eaton BR AFCI recently. Looks like it's a new part. This is AFCI only breaker, and it has a clear test button (old one has a white test button). Under the clear test button is a LED that can blink for some code. The part number is BRN115AF. It comes with an instruction leaflet, dated Nov 2018, in the Step 6 of installation, it says:

"Upon breaker power-up, the LED will display 1,2, or 3 quick blinks. The quick blinks will occur within half a second of startup.

- 1 quick blink represents that electronic overload detection is turned OFF; This is uncommon
- 2 quick blinks represent a handle rating of 15A

......"

I do have the 15A unit, but I only saw one blink. Anyone have any idea why I am having a "uncommon" breaker? Have you seen it before? Wonder if I have a bad unit... it trips when I press the test button. Thanks.

This is the breaker.
Makes no sense, what was the 3 blinks supposed to indicate?

Don't use a lot of these but from past experiences and what instructions I can find online there is six possible indications, they are indicating the reason for the last trip event, series arcing, parallel arcing, ground fault, mechanical trip (from short circuit, overload, power loss, or simply manual turning off the handle), overload, over voltage, and another indication of failing of self test procedure.

You sure you didn't get some counterfeit product?

windeye

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for the reply. Here's a snapshot of the instruction. click here Three quick blinks represents 20A unit (paraphrase). I did not buy from online sources, I just used the online source for a picture of the breaker. I bought it from a reputable local electrical supplier. The trip code you are talking about is different. This section of the manual is referring to the initial installation steps.

kwired

Electron manager
I guess it means electronic overload protection isn't working?

I didn't know they even had electronic overload function. It apparently still has thermal-magnetic features. It apparently will indicate last trip status after this initial indication, probably the items I mentioned before one possibly being indication of self test failure.

windeye

Occupation
engineer
That was what I was wondering as well, esp the language in the leaflet "it is uncommon". Interestingly, in an earlier version of the leaflet (found online), the text does not include the sentence "it is uncommon". I emailed Eaton to ask. Have not received any replies yet.

I opened the damaged AFCI, yes there is still the thermo-magnetic mechanism, only that the electro-magnetic solenoid is on the electronic side. There are two compartments inside the breaker, thermo-mechanical on one side, and the electronics on the other. The level of the solenoid acts thru a small window between the two compartments.

The damage was on the electronics side. Two capacitors were blown. I suspect the magnetic part wont' work any more for short circuit. Only the slow acting thermal mechanical part would work for overload. Of course the detection of the arc fault won't work.

photo1 photo2

kwired

Electron manager
That was what I was wondering as well, esp the language in the leaflet "it is uncommon". Interestingly, in an earlier version of the leaflet (found online), the text does not include the sentence "it is uncommon". I emailed Eaton to ask. Have not received any replies yet.

I opened the damaged AFCI, yes there is still the thermo-magnetic mechanism, only that the electro-magnetic solenoid is on the electronic side. There are two compartments inside the breaker, thermo-mechanical on one side, and the electronics on the other. The level of the solenoid acts thru a small window between the two compartments.

The damage was on the electronics side. Two capacitors were blown. I suspect the magnetic part wont' work any more for short circuit. Only the slow acting thermal mechanical part would work for overload. Of course the detection of the arc fault won't work.

photo1 photo2
Should still trip on short circuit/ground fault, as the thermal-mag feature is basically the same thing that is in a standard breaker with no GFCI or AFCI features. That little solenoid just pushes on the right spot to make it mechanically trip I would assume when the elecronics determine there is a need to trip. Sort of similar thing is done with two and three pole breakers when one has a fault they have mechanical link to other poles so that they all trip known as "common trip" feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.