Easier way of piping in rooms for lighting and plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is yalls preferred methods and tips. What ive been trying to do is a 90 with a kick and i tighten the connector and leave the locknut a little loose so they can spin the 90 for drywall. And i try to put the lighting above the plugs when ran on the wall. At the company i used to work for we had some kind of short radius bender for half inch that would allow us to bend a short 90 and offset it back to where we could have just connector threads sticking out which works much better. But the company im with now just stubs a 90 straight out and cuts it off and sticks the box over it which is jackleg as hell to me. Whats yalls preferred method.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But the company im with now just stubs a 90 straight out and cuts it off and sticks the box over it which is jackleg as hell to me. Whats yalls preferred method.

Are you saying that there is no EMT connector where the EMT enters the box?

Regarding the radius of the EMT bends I've always assumed that a standard hand bender is very close to the minimum required by 358.24.

358.24 Bends — How Made. Bends shall be made so that the tubing is not damaged and the internal diameter of the tubing
is not effectively reduced. The radius of the curve of any field bend to the centerline of the tubing shall not be less than
shown in Table 2, Chapter 9 for one-shot and full shoe benders.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I try to have as little bends as possible, when hitting the wall, no rack, stub 90 on a kick; pipe tight or you could find your pipe turned into the wall and rocked over. On HR check with who is running the rack down the hall and get elevation try to run in the wall and pop out in the hall, (mark your pipe).

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I would put the extensions on first they can cut around them.
That would put a box on every riser, getting costly now. Kicked 90 could get 3 pipes into one box, depends on circuiting.

Sorry i thought this thread died. It seems to be no easy way to do this as when i stub 90 with a kick the non "native" speakers always seem to turn the 90 the wrong way or dont cut enough for the pipe to roll out and turn. That raco 187 are u saying just to screw it to the drywall? If id go through all that id rather just set a raco 190 and an extension ring. And these arent on a rack im having to pipe them along walls just above ceiling height as the underground feeds were missed in only a few places and just running as few circuits as possible overhead.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Regarding the radius of the EMT bends I've always assumed that a standard hand bender is very close to the minimum required by 358.24.
I think it is, but they make a short radius bender, that is probably not compliant, however I have used it for apartment buildings, many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.