E-Labeling of Electrical Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Hello All...

NEMA’s Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee along with the US National Committee’s Conformity Assessment Policy Coordination Committee (USNC/IEC) are looking into the emerging marketplace concept of electronic labeling (e-labeling) of electrical products. This may include a QR or other scannable code that will provide immediate electronic access to certification compliance data, product specifications, and even product installation instructions. The e-label would eventually replace the current NRTL markings required by the applicable product standards.

As design professionals, contractors, and AHJ's; what would be your concerns, questions, or recommendations? Do you feel this would enhance your ability to assess and determine that a product has the required conformity listing or does this create a technical barrier for you to make a quick and decisive evaluation of electrical products?

Your input is greatly appreciated and will be given serious consideration. THANK YOU!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One of the instrument manufacturers I use -Endress and Hauser - has a QR code on the nameplate. Using their App, you can go directly to the information for that equipment, manuals, calibration, etc. Its great in the field if you don't have the manual.

I think this is a great feature, as it calls up information specific to that equipment.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
With the mobile device entering our daily lives more and more, is there really any other way to go???

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It would be fine as an addition to the existing labeling requirements, it would not be acceptable to me as a replacement. I want to be able to read the information without having to have some electronic device.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Thats the way the Endress and Hauser label is, the QR code is very small down in the corner, in addtion to all the typical nameplate information. Where it works really well is with a tablet computer,so the PDFs are large enough to read.

kwired

Electron manager
It would be fine as an addition to the existing labeling requirements, it would not be acceptable to me as a replacement. I want to be able to read the information without having to have some electronic device.
Same here. Some of us work in the middle of nowhere or at least in "holes in the networks" at times and access to such information is not easy to obtain as no networks are in working range at the equipment.

Even in higher population density areas - you still get into a plant at times that maybe shields you from networks, and would have to scan the QR code then move to an area where you do have network access to find information on the product.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even in higher population density areas - you still get into a plant at times that maybe shields you from networks, and would have to scan the QR code then move to an area where you do have network access to find information on the product.
Exactly ...the plant I often work in has a no electronic device policy, other plants, even where electronic devices are permitted, have no signal.

brycenesbitt

100 years from now ☊????

100 years from now ☊????

As someone who has inspected and worked on vintage electrical systems: what about 100 years from now?
Will that QR code still lead to readable information?
Will the label still be readable?
Will the glue still hold the label to the product?
Will the paper or plastic or ink have faded or yellowed?

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer vision is getting better. A flagship smartphone today can read a clear label (say "Airfoil Inc 2G-2") and search for what's known about it, which may include social media as well as the vendor data. A QR code that leads to a specific vendor website (say http://www.airfoilinc.com/products/products.html#2G-2 ) would risk not working after a certain number of years.

So instead how about instead a requirement to visually format the vendor/part number/family/manufacturing date data,
optimized for computer vision. A special symbol could help the computer vision identify the right place to pick text:

Technology solutions are fragile over long periods of time.

kwired

Electron manager
As someone who has inspected and worked on vintage electrical systems: what about 100 years from now?
Will that QR code still lead to readable information?
Will the label still be readable?
Will the glue still hold the label to the product?
Will the paper or plastic or ink have faded or yellowed?

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer vision is getting better. A flagship smartphone today can read a clear label (say "Airfoil Inc 2G-2") and search for what's known about it, which may include social media as well as the vendor data. A QR code that leads to a specific vendor website (say http://www.airfoilinc.com/products/products.html#2G-2 ) would risk not working after a certain number of years.

So instead how about instead a requirement to visually format the vendor/part number/family/manufacturing date data,
optimized for computer vision. A special symbol could help the computer vision identify the right place to pick text:

Technology solutions are fragile over long periods of time.

You have some points there, but does any of those things even matter 100 years down the road?

How often do you find yourself questioning things that currently are 100 years old and wondering if they were listed or installed per the instructions? If so how hard is it to find those instructions or listing information? How about things more than about 50 years old? That is getting into a time where some products installed back then are still common products today or have had only minor changes made to them - but go to about 75 years ago and a lot of things used then are no longer used today or have at least had some fairly significant changes made to them.

brycenesbitt

Yes, reading old manuals can be the difference between landfill and useful.

Yes, reading old manuals can be the difference between landfill and useful.

You have some points there, but does any of those things even matter 100 years down the road? How often do you find yourself questioning things that currently are 100 years old and wondering if they were listed or installed per the instructions?

I give the average URL (web address) about 5 years before it gets redesigned.

But that said yes, I've encountered a variety of old equipment that just needed some love to serve another decade, and yes reading the original manuals can sometimes be very helpful. Generally if I can get a model number, the magic of a Google (TM) search engine gets me there.

And that said, though it would destroy many a movie plot, I prefer equipment where the white and red wires are clearly marked.
In the meantime let's see how long this URL continues to work: http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10s/top-10-wire-cutting-bomb-moments-in-film/

bphgravity

Thank you all for the constructive comments and suggestions. I will share them with the Policy Committee and keep you updated as this concept moves forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.