Dwelling unit, Guest rooms AFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I read Art;210.60 210.52 and Definitions of a dwelling unit and Art:210.12(B), I am inclined to believe that AFCI are a requirement for the rooms? How far do you go with the unit having a kitchenette as well? It also has a cord and plugged A/C Heater. Am I right,or is there something I am missing?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Dwelling unit, Guest rooms AFCI Protection

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. AFCI applies only to a bedroom. If a unit has a kitchenette, nothing in that area requires AFCI. Even if there is only one room, and if the kitchenette is separated from the sleeping area only by a half-wall, the bedroom is still the bedroom, and it is the only room that requires AFCI.

If that did not answer your question, could you please clarify what you are hoping to find?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Nowhere. But where in my post did I say that they were needed?

I simply gave an example of how the sleeping area might be separated from the cooking area. My only point was that once you have successfully identified the sleeping area, you must AFCI protect all outlets in that area.

The original poster?s question had (still has) me baffled. If he is suggesting that you could plug a portable heater into an outlet in the kitchenette and use it to heat up the sleeping area, and if he is wondering if that makes it necessary to AFCI-protect that specific receptacle, my answer would be ?no.?

I guess I was way to brief with my question. It was mainly for the Guest room and how to define what to protect with AFCI. The room has a kitchenette, Bathroom and sleeping area. The sleeping area has a 30 amp 240V single Phase Receptacle for the in-wall A/C & Heating Unit. My question was more for the 30 Amp Rec and wheather to AFCI protect it. The Kitchenette and bathroom are separate areas and I would not think those would fall under the AFCI protection, but my question also was "how far do you go with the AFCI Protection" I would only require the sleeping area to have AFCI and not the Kitchen or Bath according to what I have been reading. To my knowledge you can not even buy a 30A 2Pole AFCI, only 15-20A.

Status
Not open for further replies.